Kuuma VF 100 not heating my house! Help!

brenndatomu

Minister of Fire
Aug 21, 2013
NE Ohio
Would this be the same with a VF100 though because they are not heating the basement up like a wood stove would. Very little heat goes into my basement off mine. If I had returns (wish I did) I bet there would be almost no heat downstairs.
If there were returns hooked up then basement temp wouldn't affect things much at all...other than your floor being a little cold maybe...

brenndatomu

Minister of Fire
Aug 21, 2013
NE Ohio
Reactions: Spanky

motoguy

Burning Hunk
Jan 7, 2015
Central MO
Our downstairs holds a noticeable amount of heat from the Kuuma. We don't have any registers open in the downstairs. However, it is very open, and unfinished.

gary38532

Feeling the Heat
Nov 11, 2019
PA
Our downstairs holds a noticeable amount of heat from the Kuuma. We don't have any registers open in the downstairs. However, it is very open, and unfinished.
I didn't mean to imply that the basement is cold. It's just the upstairs is noticeably warmer. The lamppas say thats what they shoot for. They want to heat the upstairs not the downstairs. Unless you were to purposely blow hot air in there of course.

Spanky

Jan 5, 2017
Dexter, Michigan
Yes it is warmer in the basement. But that is where the Furnace is located. Basically you have a firebox that
is radiating all kinds of warmth. Now I am sure we could get it warmer upstairs if we wanted to but we are
very comfortable with it on the lowest setting. I did turn it up to medium last year when we went through that
cold stretch of minus degree weather. Here is a photo of the temps in the house last night. This was taken after
letting the furnace cycle down probably 5 times and be just about time for my reload for the night.
Temp.jpg

Reactions: lampmfg

gary38532

Feeling the Heat
Nov 11, 2019
PA
Yes it is warmer in the basement. But that is where the Furnace is located. Basically you have a firebox that
is radiating all kinds of warmth. Now I am sure we could get it warmer upstairs if we wanted to but we are
very comfortable with it on the lowest setting. I did turn it up to medium last year when we went through that
cold stretch of minus degree weather. Here is a photo of the temps in the house last night. This was taken after
letting the furnace cycle down probably 5 times and be just about time for my reload for the night. View attachment 256107
Mines very consistent throughout the whole place about 70-72 incudling the basement. I have no returns so it probably mixing it up good.

Spanky

Jan 5, 2017
Dexter, Michigan
Our living room has always run a couple degrees cooler in the winter. It's located at the complete opposite end of
a long ranch style home that the furnace is at. It also has tall vaulted ceilings. But it sounds like your starting to get things
worked out on your system, which is good. I actually have picked up some worthwhile tips from your thread for future insulating ideas.

Reactions: brenndatomu

gary38532

Feeling the Heat
Nov 11, 2019
PA
Our living room has always run a couple degrees cooler in the winter. It's located at the complete opposite end of
a long ranch style home that the furnace is at. It also has tall vaulted ceilings. But it sounds like your starting to get things
worked out on your system, which is good. I actually have picked up some worthwhile tips from your thread for future insulating ideas.
It's been warm all week in the lower 30s. I have to use the electric under 20.

JRHAWK9

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2014
Wisconsin Dells, WI
Here is the situation we have our Kuuma VF100 heating.

We got 9" of snow on Sunday. After I blew the driveway, I snapped these photos only a couple hours after it stopped snowing. Was 22° outside. There is supposed to be 9" of snow on the roof. Garage pic as a reference, as it's not heated. Front and back roof of the house. Losing a lot of heat along the whole length of roof peak. Our indoor humidity levels are also low..........but the house is warm.

Front of house:
IMG_20200209_171040.jpg

Rear of house:
IMG_20200209_171224.jpg

Garage:
IMG_20200209_171102.jpg

Gbawol42

Dec 16, 2018
Northern Michigan
Here is the situation we have our Kuuma VF100 heating.

We got 9" of snow on Sunday. After I blew the driveway, I snapped these photos only a couple hours after it stopped snowing. Was 22° outside. There is supposed to be 9" of snow on the roof. Garage pic as a reference, as it's not heated. Front and back roof of the house. Losing a lot of heat along the whole length of roof peak. Our indoor humidity levels are also low..........but the house is warm.

Front of house:
View attachment 256869

Rear of house:
View attachment 256870

Garage:
View attachment 256871
I'm still honestly surprised your heating as many square feet as you are, with that much heat loss. Posts like this make me feel excited about the future when I get my house and furnace dialed in better.

JRHAWK9

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2014
Wisconsin Dells, WI
I'm still honestly surprised your heating as many square feet as you are, with that much heat loss. Posts like this make me feel excited about the future when I get my house and furnace dialed in better.
We don't have a very large house, square footage wise, but do have a fairly decent amount of volume based on the footprint. It's a 32'x42' footprint, but around 32,000CF including the basement. The basement is heated solely off of the radiant from the Kuuma. The 1/3 of it where the furnaces are stay right around the same as the rest of the house, the other 2/3rds of it is a bit cooler.