KZ hobbies anyone ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me in my Cthulhu ski hat- no, I didn't knit this

163036_1658062663457_344053_n.jpg

Reactions: Jags and BobUrban
A hat similar to that will work in wool but I will grow my own face shield if needed

The Jags2 hat not the squid

I do macrame (knottting), but no potted plant holders. Pretty much anything but potted plant holders. I do needle hitching on bottles, long form turk's heads for tool handles and hiking sticks, various traditional sailor knots like flat celtic knot mats (plaits). I do some spool knitting to make sinnets for hemp and bead jewelry...same technique as making hats, smaller forms. I think any moderately handy person can pick up the technique in short order, but the process is still failry time consuming. KNotting is not a krazy hobby. Pretty mellow actually.

thats just ridiculous

142056ab.jpg

i did not do this

I'm really confused by all of this.

You're not the only one.

And by the way . . . the kid with the beard looks a bit like my Amish neighbors.

Combine Demolition Derby Driving is right up your alley Jags.

Reactions: Jags
Deltaost: 1635548 said:
I do macrame (knottting), but no potted plant holders. Pretty much anything but potted plant holders. I do needle hitching on bottles, long form turk's heads for tool handles and hiking sticks, various traditional sailor knots like flat celtic knot mats (plaits). I do some spool knitting to make sinnets for hemp and bead jewelry...same technique as making hats, smaller forms. I think any moderately handy person can pick up the technipotted plant holders. Pretty much anything but potted plant holders. I do needle hitching on bottles, long form turk's heads for tool handles and hiking sticks, various traditional sailor knots like flat celtic knot mats (plaits). I do some spool knitting to make sinnets for hemp and bead jewelry...same technique as making hats, smaller forms. I think any moderately handy person can pick up the technique in short order, but the process is still failry time consuming. KNotting is not a krazy hobby. Pretty mellow actually.

That sounds interesting. Do you work only with cordage or also leather& horsehair. There are some beautiful knots . Fantastic amount of history in them too

I've honestly been considering knitting for those sitting on the couch times. It's less of a mess than my other hobbies and you can take it anywhere. If I don't stay busy most of the time, I feel guilty.
You may be a little bit Dutch with that guilt of not keeping busy working on something.
Hope I'm safe saying that. Dutch here too.

That sounds interesting. Do you work only with cordage or also leather& horsehair. There are some beautiful knots . Fantastic amount of history in them too
paracord is all the rage these days so I do a good bit of work with that, hemp, cotton....pretty much anything :). Some smaller datail stuff I do in cord for window blinds. I've done some stuff with leather, but no horsehair. A good bit of the knowledge I have was gained through books on leather braiding and horse tack and some of the braiding only really shows its beauty when you work with a flat medium that shows twisting or has 2 distict faces (hair side and flesh side).

You may be a little bit Dutch with that guilt of not keeping busy working on something.
Hope I'm safe saying that. Dutch here too.

I'm Dutch, and I'm lazier'n a three toed sloth!

paracord is all the rage these days so I do a good bit of work with that, hemp, cotton....pretty much anything :). Some smaller datail stuff I do in cord for window blinds. I've done some stuff with leather, but no horsehair. A good bit of the knowledge I have was gained through books on leather braiding and horse tack and some of the braiding only really shows its beauty when you work with a flat medium that shows twisting or has 2 distict faces (hair side and flesh side).
There must be demand as locally we have had repeated theft of horse tail ie scissor cut and have seen reports of same elsewhere

There must be demand as locally we have had repeated theft of horse tail ie scissor cut and have seen reports of same elsewhere
who knew there was an underground market for stolen horse hair?
shady peeps in dark alleys with trenchcoats full of horsehair.....<in hushed tones> "hey buddy, lookin for some sweet mane?"...which means something completely different in Colorado these days.

who knew there was an underground market for stolen horse hair?
shady peeps in dark alleys with trenchcoats full of horsehair.....<in hushed tones> "hey buddy, lookin for some sweet mane?"...which means something completely different in Colorado these days.

I'll wager it's going for fiddle bows.

Status
Not open for further replies.