Landscapers don't always know what a cord is

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heydan

A few weeks ago I bought two cords of wood from a landscaper and then today I had another cord delivered from a firewood dealer. I noticed that the firewood dealer's one cord pile was almost as big as the landscaper's two cord pile! So I contacted the landscaper and he said he had measured the two cords as 2 x 128 cubic feet when loosely packed in his truck! I had to explain to him that a cord is only 128 cubic feet when it's tightly stacked. According to one state's web site, if it's cut and split and loosely piled in a truck you need 175 cubic feet to make a true cord (or 160 cubic feet if it's cut but not split). The dealer who delivered to me today said he delivers 160 cubic feet of loosely piled cut and split wood and people tend to be happy with that. He said that up in Maine (I'm in Mass) people expect more though, probably the full 175 cubic feet.

So it seems it was an honest mistake on my landscaper's part and he will deliver some more wood for free to make up for it. I don't think he really has enough to make a full two true cords for me but I'll take what he has and just be more careful in the future. The lesson is not everyone knows what a cord is! It's best to ask them how many cubic feet they mean.

Ha , I'm sure it wasn't a "pick up" bed . I'd like to see someone get 2 cords in a pick up. I mean he(( , thats only 7000 lbs of wood. He would have to have side rails on the truck 4' higher then the cab all the way around.

Silly people.

Roospike said:
Ha , I'm sure it wasn't a "pick up" bed . I'd like to see someone get 2 cords in a pick up. I mean he(( , thats only 7000 lbs of wood. He would have to have side rails on the truck 4' higher then the cab all the way around.

Silly people.

These folks could probably offer some advice if you'd like to load 2 cords in your half ton's bed.

-Hal

HalJason said:
Roospike said:

Silly people.

These folks could probably offer some advise if you'd like to load 2 cords in your half ton's bed.

-Hal
I like it..............

HalJason said:
These folks could probably offer some advise if you'd like to load 2 cords in your half ton's bed.

-Hal

Oh man, that's classic! I'm going to find a way to include that on a slide in my next work presentation.

vgrund said:
HalJason said:

-Hal

Oh man, that's classic! I'm going to find a way to include that on a slide in my next work presentation.

Unbelievable... I have an older Chevy Beauville van. It is beefy. Last fall I bought a ton of pellets. The sales person asked what I was driving so they could take a forklift out with the pellets. Told him it was the Chevy van, he balked. I told him to take his tape and measure the bumper height before we load. Said if it went down and inch I'd be surprised. He measured, we loaded, he measured. No change. I said it helps to have a 10k lb axle and all the extras (shocks, springs, etc). He shook his head in disbelief. If you buy materials they feel exceed the capacity of your vehicle they will not let you load it on the property. Didn't ask if you could take it to the IHOP lot to load :)

Status
Not open for further replies.