Lange 6303 Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jbatista

Oct 28, 2015
Boston
I ended up buying a rebuilt Lange 6303 for my camp. Towards the front of the stove there is a circular plate that can come off. Is this for top loading the stove as well or should I cement the plate shut? Thanks.

You could top load it, but it is designed as a cooking top, removable to accommodate a pot or a kettle. In Europe, I understand that they make cookware specifically to fit these openings, though I've never seen the like here in the States. No need to cement it, just leave it as is. GREAT old stove!

My mom heats with a beautiful little Lange. I’m not sure which model, but it also has the circular plate. It’s very convenient for hearth clean-up. She reloads through the front door, sweeps up anything she’s dropped on the hearth pad with a hand brush and a metal dust pan, opens the top plate with a hook that hangs on the chimney, and drops all the sweepings in. I think it’s a great feature, even if that’s not what is was intended for.

My mom also cooks on the stove all winter long, including boiling down maple syrup. (She only has one tree, so it’s not a massive amount.)