LaNina winter, your outdoor temperature and location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Lorraine NY (aka the Tug Hill Area) was 6 ::F above this morning has been a sweltering 20::F today. 75::F in the house about 1 bag a day stove is taking a nap right now to damn hot in here

Hey Ssyko, know your area, grew up in Watertown...so I know about cold and so much snow, that we'd put red balls on car antennas so that when we came to an intersection we knew there was another car there ! So here in Attica, NY, between Batavia and Buffalo, it's been daytime in the 20's, single digits nights, looking colder this weekend.. enough snow to ride a sled I guess, but not for me anymore, stay where its warm ~ Started with 2 tons of pellets have 25 bags left and should get more, keep the house at 70°-71°F

Reactions: Washed-Up
FirepotPete, sorry to hear about your wife...

Pete, So sorry to hear about your better half, I don’t know what I would do without my warden, she keeps me out of solitary.

Thanks everyone. It isn't my intent to highjack the thread.
It's just that while running one of these stoves/furnaces things change.
My wife's hip bone blew out on her two years ago last November. After that she couldn't sleep in a bed. She adopted the recliner in the living room where the corn burner is. She always liked it nice and toasty when she could sleep in the bed but in the recliner that changed because she was next to the stove and the bedroom wasn't kept as warm as the living room would get to hot.
It's just funny how little things can change how you want or need to run a stove that you have had for over 15 years because of other changes with the people living there.
I know one thing, and she would laugh about it (she loved some gritty humor) I now have to pull my clinker by myself every night. She used to help me pull my clinker, now I'm on my own. ;)

Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
Saturday morning hit -44c/-47f, with a windchill of -54c/-65f.
Had to head out to site this morning and complete install on some piping changes on an oil-battery for a client. -37c/-35f when I arrived on site, but was much colder than that going through some of the river valleys on the way there, -40 in lots of spots, and of course dodge trucks don't read colder than that, got the ---c a few times in the instrument cluster too. Warmed up to -30c/-22f by lunch, thought I was in the Caribbean at that point, so much warmer, or I was just delirious from the cold.

-27*C (-17*F) Around Algonquin Park, ON last night. Never understood Fahrenheit?, so 0*F is based off the freezing point of a salt and water brine solution, interesting, I like 0*C being the freezing temp and 100*C boiling point of water, as oppose to 32*F & 212*F, makes much more sense and easy to remember, graph and analyze data.

Thanks everyone. It isn't my intent to highjack the thread.
It's just that while running one of these stoves/furnaces things change.
My wife's hip bone blew out on her two years ago last November. After that she couldn't sleep in a bed. She adopted the recliner in the living room where the corn burner is. She always liked it nice and toasty when she could sleep in the bed but in the recliner that changed because she was next to the stove and the bedroom wasn't kept as warm as the living room would get to hot.
It's just funny how little things can change how you want or need to run a stove that you have had for over 15 years because of other changes with the people living there.
I know one thing, and she would laugh about it (she loved some gritty humor) I now have to pull my clinker by myself every night. She used to help me pull my clinker, now I'm on my own. ;)

Pete, at my age and stage in the game of life, pulling my clinker is way down on the list of 'to do' things anyway. My wife is not interested anyway....

Sleep is way more important, which reminds me, it's nap time....

in the past week here in n. wi. i have seen -28f at our house. -36 at the airport and my son in law drives thru a typically colder swamp on his way to work. last monday it was -40. forcast for the airport monday is -40, wind chill -58.

Sounds like it's 'thong' time to me....... :p

As some of you know, I’m a bit of a weather nut.
I’m curious about what outdoor temperatures everyone is dealing with.
Just reply with your location and outdoor temperature, in Fahrenheit or Celsius
Kananaskis Alberta Canada
-35c/ -31f this morning
Using a 40lb bag a day right now
I am in Mannsville ny and it is 19° degrees Fahrenheit here this morning.

Sounds like a heat wave......lol

-26c/-15f out here in Kananaskis Alberta Canada this am....and had an earthquake out by Banff that we felt here in the valley. 4.4 strength

Nothing like a good 'shaker' on a cold winter day.....

-7c/19f, 20cm/8in of snow overnight here in Alberta Canada
It's all yours. It's cold here, (35F) but no snow. I'm on propane now. Stove is done for the year.

It's all yours. It's cold here, (35F) but no snow. I'm on propane now. Stove is done for the year.

A weekend ago it hit 70f in the sun. Spring tease. Then it got colder again. This weekend was hovering around the freezing point in the day. Got a little snow yesterday too. Last night was around 20. It’s 34 right now.

What I always find amazing around here is, a good number of row croppers nave already fitted up their fields and planted corn. Problem is, the ground isn't warm enough to support germination (ground temp has to be 46 degrees) so all the corn they put in will rot and will need to be replanted. Farmers are their own worst enemies.. Get in a big hurry to be first in the fields and then pay twice for the seed corn. twice for the fuel and twice for the labor to operate the machines. At $300.00 USD plus per bag of seed corn, just the seed is expensive, not including the anhydrous which is knifed in ahead of time but only lasts 2 weeks.

Farmers around here like anhydrous. I don't. I prefer 46% Urea prills. Much easier to deal with and much safer to be around. Anhydrous will kill you if you get a whiff of it. Causes immediate respiratory failure.

My equipment is in the barn and will stay there for a while. Still servicing it anyway. No point in getting in a rush as the time from planting to harvest is genetically built into the seed anyway.

Low 30’s and
742AB49A-E791-4A14-BB26-17503B2D6DF7.jpeg