Large Evergreen Down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PA Fire Bug

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2010
Blair County, PA
A friend posted a photo of this large tree that came down during a recent storm. Fortunately, it missed the house and only caused minor damage to the porch. The electric and phone lines were both down. The power company fixed the line yesterday. The one side of the tree was rotten and had ants in it. The wind did the rest.

I cut it up for them today. It was nice to have it off the ground. I had to cut the large rounds from both sides (18 inch bar) and then roll the trunk to reach the knobs on the bottom.

20200414_125717.jpg

20200414_134213.jpg

20200414_151024.jpg

Got home in the day light yesterday and noticed one of my big ash tree's has a split right down the middle of it, its a crotch section, but it wont be long for either end to go. Luckily its in the middle of no where so its not a big deal. The tree is huge though, about 65ft tall, 40" diameter at the base, multiple leaders, all good firewood.

On the way for our biweekly grocery runs I passed a large Maple probably 36" or so, laying about a yard from the owners home. Had to scare the crap out of them a few degrees differently in the direction of fall and they would not have had a house. That is the third tree I have seen in the last 6 months that has almost flattened a home. I seen a large one probably closer to 50" if not more flattened a guys pickup, box trailer and invited itself inside their home. Love trees but makes me nervous about the 70' sycamores by our home.

Your friend was probably thrilled to have you cut that monster up and haul it away. I helped a guy out with some hemlock last fall. He was quite appreciative, but couldn't believe that I burn evergreens in my stove.