Large fireplace inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rotor

Apr 12, 2017
Portsmouth, NH
My fireplace opening is 4 feet by 4 feet. I currently have a Jotul 550 insert (which is approximately 32" wide and about 25" high and takes 2 foot log length). I was hoping to find a fireplace insert that will take 3 foot log length. So, significantly larger that the 550 Jotul. Any ideas? Know of any good very large fireplace inserts? Thank you...

Biggest one I can think of is the Kuma sequoia.

30" is a huge log for an open fireplace and not possible that I know of with any insert. If the fireplace has the depth, you might want to consider an insert that is deeper instead of wider. That affords N/S loading as well as E/W loading. There are many good 3 cu ft inserts on the market that will out heat the Jotul 550 and burn longer, but the Kuma Sequoia is a good choice. It takes a 23" log. Next up in size would be the Buck 91 (cat) / 94 (non-cat) That has a huge, but squarer, deeper firebox. Note that you may need to replace the liner. Both the Sequoia and big Buck require an 8" liner instead of the 6" liner for the C550.

I have a Buck 94NC. Good heater...heating 2200 sq' rancher with it. Requires more play than a cat stove, but is more forgiving if your wood is a little damp.

36" log? I'm guessing you haven't been out looking at inserts yet? None will hold a 3' log, that's outdoor furnace territory!

I would most certainly put a freestanding stove in there, partially inside the fireplace.

Hey folks, thanks for all the good info! I'll check out your suggestions on the other insert brands. I have looked online and not found anything that would take larger than a 2' log so I guess for off the shelf units that going to be it but the deeper firebox might be a solution that will help.

As for a free standing wood stove, yes I've thought of it. In fact i have an old Vermont Castings Defiant from the 1970's that was a workhorse in a previous house. The issue is some very fancy wood trim all around the fireplace and big wooden mantle sticking out. We're concerned that it'll get beat up (cracked) from the constant heat that the wood stove will be generating that is why we went with the insert.

Hey folks, thanks for all the good info! I'll check out your suggestions on the other insert brands. I have looked online and not found anything that would take larger than a 2' log so I guess for off the shelf units that going to be it but the deeper firebox might be a solution that will help.

As for a free standing wood stove, yes I've thought of it. In fact i have an old Vermont Castings Defiant from the 1970's that was a workhorse in a previous house. The issue is some very fancy wood trim all around the fireplace and big wooden mantle sticking out. We're concerned that it'll get beat up (cracked) from the constant heat that the wood stove will be generating that is why we went with the insert.
The mantel clearances need to be taken into account for inserts too. Can you post a sketch with dimensions and a picture pf the fireplace?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

If the mantel is too close for a stove, then chances are it's also too close for an insert. The only way they have better clearances is with the flush units. These typically have a smaller firebox, so I doubt you want to go that route.

One option if the mantel shelf is a little too close may be a mantel shield. We need specific measurements to see the options are. Here's an example for the Buck 94 insert.
Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 1.08.31 PM.png