Last few burns...and cookin elk on top!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kool_hand_Looke

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2013
Illinois
Dug the Dutch Oven out, tossed in an elk chuck roast, potatoes, celery, garlic, two onions, cabernet sauvignon wine, beef broth and cranked the stove up!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 263
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 251
images

But it's bear season and you have elk left over from the Fall? Lucky you!

Reactions: smokedragon
Man, I can smell it clear over here!!

you shoot an elk in Illinois?

Do tell more about that Dutch ! What is in the center ? Also the top looks real deep.

I have heard of a center piece but have never used or seen one used . What brand dutch is this ?

When I use mine it is outdoors with charcoal maybe its time to rethink where the dutch can be used ;?

Thanks for the inspiration !

Do tell more about that Dutch ! What is in the center ? Also the top looks real deep.

I have heard of a center piece but have never used or seen one used . What brand dutch is this ?

When I use mine it is outdoors with charcoal maybe its time to rethink where the dutch can be used ;?

Thanks for the inspiration !
It's a Camp Chef oven. The lid is probably 3" deep. The center "piece" is part of the casting. It's like an angle food cake pan. But no hole. There are however, holes in the top for heat to come in. It's got griddles that go inside too that hold what you're cooking off the bottom.

The lid has legs too so you can cook in it as well

Last edited:
Reactions: Lakeside
I am envious (both of the meal and the opportunity to go elk hunting).

Look forward to simmering some whitetail on my stove. Cannot wait to go freestanding==c

I am envious (both of the meal and the opportunity to go elk hunting).

Look forward to simmering some whitetail on my stove. Cannot wait to go freestanding==c

Not very far from Greensboro to Eastern KY.. Have you, or do you, apply(ied) for a permit here?

I am sure my invitation was lost in the mail.

Not very far from Greensboro to Eastern KY.. Have you, or do you, apply(ied) for a permit here?

I enjoy hunting, and as long as I have enough whitetail around here (and places to hunt them) I don't see the need. Perhaps once the kids are gone and I am not running to baseball, cubscouts, etc.......That and the expense of a guided hunt (since that is usually your only option as an out of stater).

My best friend just took a job in TX, and is already screaming for me to come on a hog hunt with him.....

If I am lucky, by the time I am ready to pay the expense and spare the time for a hunt like that, the elk population in Western NC will have climbed up (they were reintroduced into the great smoky mountains national park a while back).

Status
Not open for further replies.