Last of my monsters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Soundchasm

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2011
Dayton, OH
www.soundchasm.com
I like putting these giants out there. It's sad when they die a natural death, but that's life. I get fairly angry when an architect can't be bothered to lift his pencil and scoot something a few feet.

First the silver maple, and then a sycamore 10 minutes from my house.

This guy was killed when they put in a new apartment complex 1/2 mile from my house. I may have posted this before in 2016. It's a silver maple. And it appears to be something I consider to be rare, and that's a healthy silver maple.

Don't recall if I took measurements, but my wife is probably 5'10"
vlcsnap-2018-12-06-14h02m33s495.png vlcsnap-2018-12-06-14h00m20s173.png

Here's the sycamore. I think it's recorded as the oldest sycamore in Greene Co, OH. I keep expecting to be able to go there and eat fresh cookies.

IMG_20160908_171655389.jpg

Reactions: Slocum and Lone_Gun
The Silver maple is probably a 75 year old tree more or less. They grow big like that faster than most any other tree. True when they get that size rot starts to set in the trunk or main branches by then.

Reactions: Soundchasm