Last question before Saturday install, I hope!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcrem1187

Aug 15, 2011
Indiana
Hearth in place, Avalon (Travis Industries) EPA stove, 15 ft of 6 inch double wall stove pipe, adapter for 6 inch to 8 inch increase at ceiling, 8 inch ceiling support, insulation shield, 3 each 3 ft sections of Supervent double wall insulated chimney pipe to get thru the attic and out the roof to required height, Dektite hi temp rubber boot flashing to conform to metal roof, DAP 3.0 roof sealant and metal roofing screws to secure and waterproof flashing to roof, storm cap.

So here's my question. I know it's gonna generate some snickers because there must be a logical answer. I promise I have looked for it. My Supervent chimney turns/screws into the ceiling support box and locks in place. The box will be supporting 9 ft of pipe which isn't a problem as its rated to support up to 50 feet. The pipe continues thru the attic and roof while maintaining the 2 inch to combustibles rule. What secures the chimney???? It's seems to me like it's just floating vertically. The only hard contact it has is where it's locked into the ceiling support. I'm imagining this pipe banging around in the attic when we have our gusting winds next spring. I was thinking a couple of metal bands around the pipe then secure the bands into a rafter in opposing directions.

Thanks for your help. I can't wait to complete this project.

I use a chimney anchor on mine, it s a large metal clamp with two adjustable arms that bolt to the roof. You can find them at most wood stove supply stores. Mine is more than adequate and has held up in all kinds of weather! I believe I paid 109 for it, it is definitely a requirement if you have long amounts of pipe sticking out of the roof.
Good luck
Pete

Pete1983 said:
I use a chimney anchor on mine, it s a large metal clamp with two adjustable arms that bolt to the roof. You can find them at most wood stove supply stores. Mine is more than adequate and has held up in all kinds of weather! I believe I paid 109 for it, it is definitely a requirement if you have long amounts of pipe sticking out of the roof.
Good luck
Pete

This is what I have as well.
I'll be doing a roof brace as well I think. If you have over 3' extending out the roof a roof brace is required. (I have 4')
With the brace, there's no movement at all.
My chimney doesn't screw in to the support box in the chimney like yours does, it just rests on it.

A roof brace is required at every 5ft above the roof penetration. Normally it would not be needed for a 4 ft pipe elevation because the roof flashing would steady the top part. But with a flex boot, it wouldn't hurt to add the brace.

Did you get the silicone boot? It's rated about 100F above the rubber boot and would be my first choice for this application. EPDM is only good for 250F continuous duty.

Yes, I did purchase the Hi temp silicone rubber flashing. The chimney will only penetrate approx 4ft thru the roof so a roof brace won't be required.

Hi,
A roof brace kit, while only "required" for a 5' or greater length above your roof, is still a good idea. Any "rocking" or sideways movement of the chimney will not help the integrity of the screwed in joint at the support (can twist loose), and over time it will also stress your boot at the roof, possibly leading to tears and leakage. Also, bad storms or earthquakes can cause the same problems. The huge boost in structural strength added by a proper roof brace is cheap insurance, in my opinion. We explain this to our clients, who nearly always have us use them, and have none of these problems, ever. (I am lazy, and only willing to do the job once per customer.)
Stay warm,
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.