Last scrounge for '11-'12 +ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
After a few insanely busy months I have finally been getting back to my scrounging. I grabbed this Locust about 1/2 mile from home. It went down during the big snowstorm in Feb '10. Not much, about 20' long 8"-12" thick. There are still a couple cords of Oak along this road too from the same storm. The town cleared the road and pushed everything off to the woods.
1101101101.jpg

Another quickie, but it will still be nearly a weeks worth next winter.
1101101128.jpg

After this is S/S My '11/'12 stack will be full. If all goes well, I'm thinking my '11/'12 will end up being about 1/2 of my '12/'13 stack too.
Only problem is that I won't really have any room for more wood on the 1/4 acre until I get some burnt.
This was roadside about 1/4 mile from the Locust.
1101101139a.jpg

Any guess what it is? No leaves just the bark to go by. The growth rings are pretty thick and it wasn't that heavy so I'm thinking that it may not be worth the effort with all the Oak right there too.

I didn't notice any smell. I didn't put my nose to it either.

I haven't seen a lot of Sassafras that are as straight as that tree seems to be. Looks like Bigtooth Aspen except I am not sure that the darker heartwood is typical of aspen. The bark and straight trunk look perfect for the Bigtooth Aspen around here.

I look at scrounging the same way you mentioned - even a small log can be a day or two worth of firewood. Sometimes it seems like I scrounge one day at a time.

I cut and split the mystery wood yesterday. There was no strong smell. I even put my nose to it. I hope the neighbors didn't see me. It was very wet. Water splashed out when i split it. It wasn't that easy to split either. Maybe I am spoiled by all the Oak I have been splitting? The grain was twisted and in consistent.

Attachments

• 1118101618.jpg
    1118101618.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 237
  • 1118101620.jpg
    1118101620.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 238
Flatbedford said:
I cut and split the mystery wood yesterday. There was no strong smell. I even put my nose to it. I hope the neighbors didn't see me. It was very wet. Water splashed out when i split it. It wasn't that easy to split either. Maybe I am spoiled by all the Oak I have been splitting? The grain was twisted and in consistent.
that almost looks like that walnut I got the other day. A little too light in color though, and the bark is a little off. There werent' any twigs or small branches from it, were there? if so, cut one open and see if it looks like this:
wjuni--twchamber-pith15205.jpg

I'm not really feeling a walnut ID on this, just throwing that option out there.

Looks like popple. Definitely not sassafras.

It is not Locust. In the 3rd picture up top it is the log sitting on top of the Locust rounds. I only stopped to grab it because I thought it was more Locust. What ever it is, the rest of it is gone now. I wouldn't take any more if it was there anyway. This wood does not fit my maximum BTU per man hour rule. It is lightweight and hard to split.

Flatbedford said:
After a few insanely busy months I have finally been getting back to my scrounging. I grabbed this Locust about 1/2 mile from home. It went down during the big snowstorm in Feb '10. Not much, about 20' long 8"-12" thick. There are still a couple cords of Oak along this road too from the same storm. The town cleared the road and pushed everything off to the woods.
1101101101.jpg

Another quickie, but it will still be nearly a weeks worth next winter.
1101101128.jpg

After this is S/S My '11/'12 stack will be full. If all goes well, I'm thinking my '11/'12 will end up being about 1/2 of my '12/'13 stack too.
Only problem is that I won't really have any room for more wood on the 1/4 acre until I get some burnt.
This was roadside about 1/4 mile from the Locust.
1101101139a.jpg

Any guess what it is? No leaves just the bark to go by. The growth rings are pretty thick and it wasn't that heavy so I'm thinking that it may not be worth the effort with all the Oak right there too.
Nice find on the locust. That and ash are my two favorites. It will be ready easily after split for 6 mos.

Status
Not open for further replies.