Late season backpuffing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Yardsale

Dec 2, 2020
Pennsylvania
Hey everyone.
I am having a a sudden problem with my Jotul F55 v2 Carrabassett smoking out the vent when we start it cold. (I’m talking a lot of back flow out the vent.) We didn’t have this problem all winter but now when we are doing evening fires this spring we are getting a lot of smoke back out the air control intake.
Couple of pertinent details.
1. This is a back vented configuration.
2. This is a masonry chimney with a stainless 6” liner.
3. The chimney cap is shot but still clear...
4. We burnt about 4 cords through this stove since last October,
5. We love this stove and want it to work again.
please give me some advice. The chimney sweep isn’t due for another 30 days and I could use a fire at night right now.

Hey everyone.
I am having a a sudden problem with my Jotul F55 v2 Carrabassett smoking out the vent when we start it cold. (I’m talking a lot of back flow out the vent.) We didn’t have this problem all winter but now when we are doing evening fires this spring we are getting a lot of smoke back out the air control intake.
Couple of pertinent details.
1. This is a back vented configuration.
2. This is a masonry chimney with a stainless 6” liner.
3. The chimney cap is shot but still clear...
4. We burnt about 4 cords through this stove since last October,
5. We love this stove and want it to work again.
please give me some advice. The chimney sweep isn’t due for another 30 days and I could use a fire at night right now.
It is probably simply higher outside temps reducing draft. How tall is the chimney?

Inspect the stove and flue and make sure there's no blockages. Run a brush through it if you can't inspect. Amazon will drop a sooteater or a brush off to your house in a couple days, no need to wait 30 days for someone else to do it, probably for more money than the brush costs.

Stick a few feet of stovepipe on top of the existing and see if it goes away.

Warm weather causes weaker draft. Preheating the flue can help with startup problems. Adding flue height can help with most insufficient draft problems.

Its a draft issue. I have the same problem on a very small scale when its 40+ degrees out. Just a little smoke out the air intake. I just leave the door open a little longer than usual and it clears that up. I also make sure to preheat my flue with the blow torch for 30 seconds before lighting to help get the draft going. A cracked window or door also helps as stated before.

FWIW - I have a 24' chimney with great draft during the winter so it can happen to any stove. Temp/wind are big factors.

I agree, a combination of warmer weather reducing draft and low heat demand. About all you can do it run smaller loads and if you have an air adjustment keep it open. trying to cut down on the air makes things worse.

Thanks everyone. I will try the small load to pre-heat.

I have a 20 foot stainless liner measured from the stove outlet.
I’m think of also changing the type of cap we have on the top of the liner. We do have a bit of a constant breeze as we are on a tallish hill,

Thanks everyone. I will try the small load to pre-heat.

I have a 20 foot stainless liner measured from the stove outlet.
I’m think of also changing the type of cap we have on the top of the liner. We do have a bit of a constant breeze as we are on a tallish hill,
Is the stove in a basement? Also, make sure there are no open (even a little) windows, attic ceiling stairs, attic door, etc. open. Try putting a lit candle in the stove about 30 minutes before starting the stove and use a top down started kindling fire to warm up the flue.