Later Summer-Fall project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MOCOMofo

Dec 12, 2017
Maryland
A little background - house built in '93 and reasonably well insulated. Has new doors/windows as of last summer. We're 100% electric and use Heat Pumps for HVAC with a little assistance from a Wood Burning insert (Country Flame BBF-1) during the winter to help when the thermostat dips below 30. The existing stove will hold the house at about 68 as long as we burn 24/7

The manufacturer has gone out of business and there's limited parts/support available. We tried getting a Buck 91 because it's pretty much the same size/shape as the existing stove but pre-fab firebox has a sticker that says "for BBF-1 ONLY" - so for insurance reasons nobody will touch it. To cut to the chase we're looking at about $1000 in parts to refurb the existing stove...

I'd rather sink that money into something a little more modern so we've been looking at ZC Fireplaces. This has been a frustrating endeavor because when I visit showrooms I feel like I know more than the guys in there. I'd appreciate some insight and experiences from the folks here who aren't trying to sell me something :)

The room the stove is in is 2-story/open

What we want:
1. Large firebox 3.5-4.0 cu ft.
2. Window with an airwash to keep soot buildup minimized
3. Are additional features worth it - running an OAK, hot air distribution systems
4. Prefer a cat stove over a non-cat
5. Not break the bank!

Units that have been suggested:
Quadrafire 7100
FPX 44
Astria Montecito Estate/Superior WCT6940 - the wife really likes this one
The PE FP30 has been mentioned but the firebox is a bit small (can only take a 20" log)

What other units should I be looking at? Any advice is appreciated!

You're looking at good choices. There are some big units by RSF and Valcourt also that may be of interest. The RSF Delta is a heat beast.

Last edited:
Man you have to deal with high taxes and 270...Just the face area of the fireplace and the exterior if its an exterior chase to get a better idea of whats going on if you can. If not its no big deal but pictures alway seem to better help being pointed in the right direction

I consider myself lucky that I never get on 270 - all back roads! Attached is a picture of the front of the fireplace, Boston Terrier, and the back of the house. External Chase dimensions at the deck level are 32"x 65"

Chimney.pngIMG_20171110_103904.jpg

I didnt see that you listed the fpx 44 till just now. As far as selection i would choose the fpx over the osburn. Fpx makes a.quality product.I cant speak for the others as i have never installed them. But all that you listed are good companies others with more experience with the ones you are looking at may be able to chime in. If your doing the install yourself i could give you tips as far as the how to and good practices like insulating the chase but the above is about as much as i got on the fireplaces themselves.