Lawnmower advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Retired Guy

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2011
Cape Vincent, NY
I am looking for a new mower. Walk behind self propelled. I currently have a Snapper that I bought new in 1979 and love it. I also have a Cub with a Honda engine and I hate it, front wheel drive and that %$#%^^ squeeze lever for drive speed. Cramps my hand the first 50 feet.

I mow about 18000 sq ft. some on a slope of about 12 degrees. The Snapper drive is really working on the uphill and the wheels spin and I need to push, if the grass isn't bone dry. I have decided against a rider or ztr (storage issues and I actually like the walking.) Toro makes a 30 inch "personal pace" mower that would cut down mowing time Cub makes a "wide area walk" model of about 30" also. I have been looking at Billy Goat HP3400 that looks real nice. Large tires that would probably handle the hill better. Honda makes a nice plastic deck hydro drive mower that looks good but it is only 21". Anyone have experience with any of these? Or suggestions of alternatives.

I bought a Honda in 2008. I'm not sure of the model, but this seems to be the current model most like it.
http://powerequipment.honda.com/lawn-mowers/models/hrx217hya
I bought it to replace the Honda mower that my father bought in 1981 after it developed a few issues and the engine seized up after 27 years of service, some of them for a somewhat rambunctious teenage boy (me), with little regular maintenance and no dealer service. It was not cheap, but the infinitely variable hydro drive is nice and the rotostop blade system is great. No need to restart the engine every time you let go of the controls. I can also use the drive without the blade spinning which is nice. It always starts on the first or second pull. It cuts nicely and is easy to switch from bag to mulch. It is a very good and well designed machine, but I would expect no less than that from Honda. My lawn is mostly flat with one steep section. I can go across or up and down the steep section easily with the drive. As the bag fills, it does become a little harder control with more weight hanging off the back. Highly recommended.

Most of the people I know who have had that personal pace unit divested themselves of rather quickly. With that much footage to mow I can not see any type of bagging operation to be conductive to completion of mowing in a timely manor. That 30 inch, with a rear hydro drive might be the ticket. Ask around at some of the landscape/ mowing operations to see what they are using. You could also ask the question over on one of the lawn mower or landscape forums, likely get a much more informed response. As of late I am not fond of any thing that is remotely considered "home owner duty" as lately that seems to be an anachronism for "how cheap can we get away with for big bucks". Even worse if a unique part is needed (if still available). As a side note: most of the box store lawn mower ride on units ( any brand all colors) use the same trany/rear end and most are failing around 100 hrs, specifically if a lot of hills are involved, There are some class action suits in the works addressing this major issue as we type. I know you were not looking in this direction ,but thought worth a mention.

never have bought a push mower, usually ride around the neighborhood and pull one out of the trash, the two I have now have had about 6 years.

Reactions: Ashful
I've got about 15000 sqft with about 15% slope, but in another life I was mowing 2 acre/week. For that chore I bought a 48" hydro walk behind with a velke wheel. Bought it used for 2k 10-12 years ago and still works perfectly. When you think about how a commercial unit holds up to 1000s of hours of abuse there's no way I'll ever wear it out. with my 30 minutes a week.
Way oversized for what I use it for now but just like the original poster I prefer to walk than ride and its not worth it to sell and downsize. Most guys I know have a smaller lawn yet still own a riding mower. And they just seem like junk to me unless its a pro machine. No way I'd go back to a 21" deck. 30 min vs 3-4 hrs is definitely worth the room in my shed, especially because it has no problem with wet grass. If I ever have to move it I just drive it up into the back of the truck on ramps so I don't have to tow a trailer.

I vote for the used commercial mower with hydro drive. Check out craigslist. I bought mine on ebay.

I learned a long time ago that if you want a snowblower, buy one from a company who makes them and not a million other things. I find the same goes for any kind of tool.

I would take a serious look at GRavely walk behind mower. It could be the last mower you ever need to buy. They also make whip mowers for long grass..http://www.gravely.com/en-us/walk-behind-mowers/Pages/default.aspx

Andrew

Sounds like you're getting some good advice here. You may also be interested in this forum: http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3
I got a lot of good help there when looking for a ztr. The main forum is for lawn care pro's, but this link takes you to the homeowner advise section.

never have bought a push mower, usually ride around the neighborhood and pull one out of the trash, the two I have now have had about 6 years.
Ditto. My push mower is a 1973 Toro, with maybe 8 million hours on it. It won't die. I used to replace the plastic wheels about every fourth year, but I recently installed steel wheels with bona-fide ball bearings. I think this mower will outlive me... and it was free!

Sharpen blade, change oil, and clean filter once per year.

Sounds like you're getting some good advice here. You may also be interested in this forum: http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3
I got a lot of good help there when looking for a ztr. The main forum is for lawn care pro's, but this link takes you to the homeowner advise section.
I occasionally participate in that forum, but they're not fond of the average homeowner. It's an industry/pro site.

Toro/Exmark makes a commercial version of the 30" TimeCutter mower. I have little experience with it so I can't comment on overall longevity.

Toro's high-end of 21" machines are a great unit. (SR4's and the Super Baggers) The quality of their steel-deck machines has improved significantly in the last 3-4 years or so as well. Most complaints regarding the Personal Pace are from the first generation steel-deck units that had a rather wimpy transmission setup.

Husqvarna is cranking out some rather nice 21" units these days as well. Including an AWD unit. Thats brand-new for this year so other than it exists, I have no other input on that one.

My favorite machines are still the cast-aluminum deck Deere's. (Now discontinued) 14SB/SE and the JA/JX series are fantastic machines. Unmatched cut-quality and bagger performance. Decent mulching as well. Little bushhogs in side discharge mode. Pick'em up used for $150+ on CL. They were $8-900 machines new.

Status
Not open for further replies.