Leak with no smell?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

YabbaDabba

Dec 30, 2017
Pennsyltucky
General info: I have a Regency propane insert, vented, which we've had for 5 years or so. Have it serviced every fall. Same propane company. Had to replace a fan this year.

This year, it seems like every time I turn it on, I fall asleep. I don't sit that far away from it, but then, I never have. I turn it off, and I wake up. There is no smell. Doesn't matter what time of day, either, lol.

Can these things leak and *not smell? My house is old, not airtight, so it's not leaching all the oxygen out of the room .

Thanks for any ideas -

CO leak

I thought that, too. But where would it be leaking that from? Plus, they put a new fan in a month or so ago..... Funny. Turned it off, the fan is blowing, and I don't feel tired from that.....

Call your local FD or LP company, they will have a sniffer for CO, that's what they are their for, just be sure to stress it's a non-emergency call.

You are lucky to be waking up. Can not stress the importance of CO safety. CO is odorless unlike a LP leak. You NEED to have CO detectors in your home. They can be had for 35 bucks at hardware stores. If you think your stove is leaking CO I would shut it down completely and call for service. Make sure ttge tech runs a CO meter. I do for every service call. CO is a stupid way to die.