leaking metal chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RosieBun

Jan 13, 2018
Maine
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and not sure this is really a relevant question, but I need some experienced advice, so I am throwing it out there. Apologies if it is overly off topic.

My family recently moved to a new house and brought our Hearthstone Heritage with us. It had previously been hooked up to a masonry chimney. We had it installed into the new home with a new metal chimney. The roof is also metal. We had the new chimney installed by a professional, it runs straight up through the roof.

The chimney was installed around September. The woodstove has been doing great, good draft and all that. We just had our first major thaw of the winter, followed by torrential rain. As soon as the rain started, the chimney began leaking, and not leaking a little, basically water pouring in all around the chimney box, and running down the ceiling as well. We called the installer, who came right out that night. He sent his assistant up on the roof and resealed the whole thing. When we asked him what happed, he said the sealant he had used "had disintegrated", and that he had replaced it with an even better sealant he had just picked up. He told us it should be taken care of. Well, later that night it began raining again, and the leaks resumed. Not as bad, maybe half as much water coming in, but that was still enough to be filling up pots on the stove. I called him to let him know, and he seemed perplexed by the situation, but said he would come out again in the next day or two to look at it in the daylight and try to figure the problem out. He has not come back out yet.

I have no experience with metal chimneys, I have used woodstoves all my life but always with masonry chimneys. So my question is, how normal is this situation? Does anyone have any idea what might be causing such significant leaking?

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and not sure this is really a relevant question, but I need some experienced advice, so I am throwing it out there. Apologies if it is overly off topic.

My family recently moved to a new house and brought our Hearthstone Heritage with us. It had previously been hooked up to a masonry chimney. We had it installed into the new home with a new metal chimney. The roof is also metal. We had the new chimney installed by a professional, it runs straight up through the roof.

The chimney was installed around September. The woodstove has been doing great, good draft and all that. We just had our first major thaw of the winter, followed by torrential rain. As soon as the rain started, the chimney began leaking, and not leaking a little, basically water pouring in all around the chimney box, and running down the ceiling as well. We called the installer, who came right out that night. He sent his assistant up on the roof and resealed the whole thing. When we asked him what happed, he said the sealant he had used "had disintegrated", and that he had replaced it with an even better sealant he had just picked up. He told us it should be taken care of. Well, later that night it began raining again, and the leaks resumed. Not as bad, maybe half as much water coming in, but that was still enough to be filling up pots on the stove. I called him to let him know, and he seemed perplexed by the situation, but said he would come out again in the next day or two to look at it in the daylight and try to figure the problem out. He has not come back out yet.

I have no experience with metal chimneys, I have used woodstoves all my life but always with masonry chimneys. So my question is, how normal is this situation? Does anyone have any idea what might be causing such significant leaking?

It’s not normal at all. It is more then likely a flashing issue and sealant issue.

The best stuff I have found is called flex seal. I think it’s manufactured by big dog or tough dog or something like that. It’s not that stuff they sell on tv. You can get it at roofing stores. It’s like silicone on steroids! I don’t think you want to use it where things get hot but for flashing it great!

Also pictures would help a lot in this situation.

It’s not normal at all. It is more then likely a flashing issue and sealant issue.

The best stuff I have found is called flex seal. I think it’s manufactured by big dog or tough dog or something like that. It’s not that stuff they sell on tv. You can get it at roofing stores. It’s like silicone on steroids! I don’t think you want to use it where things get hot but for flashing it great!

Also pictures would help a lot in this situation.
Thanks for your response, I need to figure out how to get up on the roof safely so that I can take a look at it myself I think. If I get up there I will take some pictures and post them. The guy who installed the chimney is licensed and insured, so I was surprised to have such a significant issue come up so soon. I was worried that a metal roof and metal chimney might be a bad combo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your response, I need to figure out how to get up on the roof safely so that I can take a look at it myself I think. If I get up there I will take some pictures and post them. The guy who installed the chimney is licensed and insured, so I was surprised to have such a significant issue come up so soon. I was worried that a metal roof and metal chimney might be a bad combo.

Licensed and insured is great. But that doesn’t show the quality of work they do. The thing that makes me nervous is that his sealant failed so quick. If he has been in business long enough to do quality work he should know what products are good.

I would almost be inclined to hire a roofer to do the repair if this guy can’t figure it out before your house floods while your away from it.

Get some pictures to show us the installation. You may need them for documentation anyway.

Get some pictures to show us the installation. You may need them for documentation anyway.

I'll get pictures up in the next few days, we had freezing rain all night so right now everything is encased in ice, but I should be able to get up there in the next day or two.

Thanks for the advice! I hadn't thought about calling a roofer, but maybe I should. We were very lucky, because the house was seasonal before we bought it, and our original plan was to shut it down over the winter this year and winterize next summer. If we had done that I shudder to think of the amount of flooding that would have happened while we were gone._g

I'll get pictures up in the next few days, we had freezing rain all night so right now everything is encased in ice, but I should be able to get up there in the next day or two.

Thanks for the advice! I hadn't thought about calling a roofer, but maybe I should. We were very lucky, because the house was seasonal before we bought it, and our original plan was to shut it down over the winter this year and winterize next summer. If we had done that I shudder to think of the amount of flooding that would have happened while we were gone._g

Sounds like your chimney chase cover has failed, it they are galvanized, they are good for about 15-20 years.

Sounds like your chimney chase cover has failed, it they are galvanized, they are good for about 15-20 years.

The way I understood the original post was it was a brand new install. Maybe I read it wrong

The way I understood the original post was it was a brand new install. Maybe I read it wrong

Nope, my mistake, I misread it. Sounds like it's not flashed properly, or installed incorrectly for a metal roof. Installer needs to get back out there ASAP, not acceptable, caulk or sealant is not a first line defense against water infiltration. I would think a metal roof would present a whole host of problems when penetrating vs a metal roof, ie, no shingles to tuck the flashing under.

Here's a post that may help some.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/installing-flue-through-metal-roof.65550/

Last edited:
Nope, my mistake, I misread it. Sounds like it's not flashed properly, or installed incorrectly for a metal roof. Installer needs to get back out there ASAP, not acceptable, caulk or sealant is not a first line defense against water infiltration. I would think a metal roof would present a whole host of problems when penetrating vs a metal roof, ie, no shingles to tuck the flashing under.

Here's a post that may help some.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/installing-flue-through-metal-roof.65550/

Any stove installer or roofer should have no problem at all completing this install. This is so basic for someone in this line of work that they should be able to do it in their sleep.

Maybe I’m taking for granted that probably half the houses in our area our metal so it’s just second nature here and maybe other areas of the country a metal roof is rare but it should not been issue.