Leaky (water and air) Chase - Victim of a Crappy Install or Crappy House?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Johnald32

May 14, 2017
Lothian, MD
Going on my second year of owning a new KozyHeat Z42 zero clearance fireplace, and I'm having a few issues.

One, when not burning, the room is clearly drafty and cold. Two, I've been noticing the "plink!" of water on top of the metal stove when it rains.

A bit about the setup: the stove is on the main level, and on the other side of the stove is our non-insulated garage. The stove basically "sits" in the garage, the front being flush with the wall between the house and garage. The non-masonry chase runs up through the non-insulated garage attic, and another 10 feet or so above the roof. Today I went up into the garage attic and opened up the side of the chase to peer in, and noticed a couple of possible issues/problems:

1) There is no insulation in the chase at all. It is just plywood, and on the other side of the plywood is drywall in the garage, and siding once it is over the roof.
2) There is no firebreak. The double insulated pipe runs straight up from the fireplace to the chase cover, and I can see all the way up to the chase cover, and all the way down to the stove.
3) There are several obvious water leaks in the sides of the chase, which again is just plywood, with siding on the outside of it (maybe there is a vapor barrier or insulation on the outside of this plywood between the siding, but I can't see it.)

Questions:
1) Should there be some sort of firebreak?
2) Should there be insulation inside the walls of the chase? As it is, the fireplace is outside the "thermal envelope" of the home.
3) Is there some sort of special fireproof insulation needed for inside the walls of the chase? I'm not sure what the clearance is from the pipe to combustibles.
4) Any tips on sealing up these water leaks? Do I need a roofer, or can this be done from the inside?

I think my installer might have cut some corners, or let some existing issues go. He is a career firefighter with fireplaces as his side business, so I hope he wouldn't be cutting corners that are actual safety issues. Any insights from someone experienced with this sort of thing would be great. Thanks!

Bump

Double wall pipe doesn’t need insulation , as for the the leaks personally if not to severe I would try from the inside since it’s easier to access . You should have some type of block off to prevent cold air from attic / chase blowing in around insert

Check the obvious places first, meaning the top cap of the chase. Water could be coming in up there and running down the wall till it finds a place to enter through the wall. You are not going to seal a leak originating from outside, from attempting to seal inside the chase. You have to stop it at the point(s) of entry. Check the flashings where the chase exists the roofline also. This is another notorious place for leaks if the flashings were not done properly. Sooner is better than later. If the plywood is in fact OSB (flakeboard) it will go to shat real quick, expand and rot. Once it expands, it has to be cut out and replaced.

Reactions: webby3650
Going on my second year of owning a new KozyHeat Z42 zero clearance fireplace, and I'm having a few issues.

One, when not burning, the room is clearly drafty and cold. Two, I've been noticing the "plink!" of water on top of the metal stove when it rains.

A bit about the setup: the stove is on the main level, and on the other side of the stove is our non-insulated garage. The stove basically "sits" in the garage, the front being flush with the wall between the house and garage. The non-masonry chase runs up through the non-insulated garage attic, and another 10 feet or so above the roof. Today I went up into the garage attic and opened up the side of the chase to peer in, and noticed a couple of possible issues/problems:

1) There is no insulation in the chase at all. It is just plywood, and on the other side of the plywood is drywall in the garage, and siding once it is over the roof.
2) There is no firebreak. The double insulated pipe runs straight up from the fireplace to the chase cover, and I can see all the way up to the chase cover, and all the way down to the stove.
3) There are several obvious water leaks in the sides of the chase, which again is just plywood, with siding on the outside of it (maybe there is a vapor barrier or insulation on the outside of this plywood between the siding, but I can't see it.)

Questions:
1) Should there be some sort of firebreak?
2) Should there be insulation inside the walls of the chase? As it is, the fireplace is outside the "thermal envelope" of the home.
3) Is there some sort of special fireproof insulation needed for inside the walls of the chase? I'm not sure what the clearance is from the pipe to combustibles.
4) Any tips on sealing up these water leaks? Do I need a roofer, or can this be done from the inside?

I think my installer might have cut some corners, or let some existing issues go. He is a career firefighter with fireplaces as his side business, so I hope he wouldn't be cutting corners that are actual safety issues. Any insights from someone experienced with this sort of thing would be great. Thanks!

I think you need a roofer or a sweep to examine your chimney cap/crown to see if it's rusted through or to see if the storm collar has become dislodged. That's only for the water leaking part.

The chase must be insulated, this is overlooked all too often. You need a draft stop at the ceiling level, the pipe should have an insulation shield above that and then insulated. I’d love to see a picture of the chase cover! Your installer cut a bunch of corners...

Reactions: AlbergSteve