Learning on a Regency i2100M

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamE

Feb 3, 2013
Collegeville, Pa.
After three days with my first insert (a used Regency i2100M), I've got a few questions.

It's a small firebox and it quickly fills with coals. Loading wood can be difficult because the coal bed soon gets higher than the door opening. I'm waiting for a log to roll out on to the floor. N/S loading is pretty much out since it's only 14" or 15" deep.

Do I have so many coals because I'm not burning hot enough? I keep the air open about 30%-35%. This gives me lots of flames and some secondary burn. I've got a magnetic thermometer on the face of the insert and it usually reads between 400 - 500 degrees. I know this isn't an accurate reading and the flue temp must be a lot hotter.

Also, aside from opening the door really slowly (which only helps a little), is there a way to keep the ashes inside the stove? Now matter what I do, there's ash everywhere.

Thanks.

Take some ashes out. Some species will make more ash than others and higher moisture content usually leaves more coals as well

Thanks bholler.

Do you mean take some hot coals out before reloading during the day? The wood I'm using is at least two years old and has been under a tarp. It's mostly Chestnut, Walnut and Dogwood. Maybe I should get a moisture meter...

Maybe I should get a moisture meter...
A moisture meter is always a good idea. Was it just top covered or was the whole pile tarped? I usually rake the hot coals out of the way and take out the ash from underneath. If it is all hot coals open up the air for a while and let them burn down or throw in some dry pipe or poplar to help burn them down occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.