Left swing door stoves (open right)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

amanda_maine

Jan 14, 2022
Maine
Hive mind! I'm desperate for a left swing door (right side load) wood stove.

I designed a custom space with the wood box/bin on the right, not considering door swing, and ordered a stove...then realized the door opens the wrong way :(
Amateur mistake!

Looking for *low side clearances* because it's in a corner and I only have ~46" for the stove plus its side clearances.

Also - Smaller is better! It's for a 740 square foot new construction house.

What dimension is 46”?

The Quadrafire 2100 and Morso 7110 have a left hinge door.

Reactions: amanda_maine
Vermont Castings stoves are typically top-loading, which might be something to look into. I'd also expect Woodstock to be able to modify the Survival Hybrid to change the swing of the door (most of their stoves are side-loading, which probably won't work for your space), because they allow a lot of customization of their stoves. I'm not sure how other manufacturers handle customizations, but this seems like something that might be feasible for many stoves if you contact them.

Reactions: amanda_maine
Hive mind! I'm desperate for a left swing door (right side load) wood stove.

I designed a custom space with the wood box/bin on the right, not considering door swing, and ordered a stove...then realized the door opens the wrong way :(
Amateur mistake!

Looking for *low side clearances* because it's in a corner and I only have ~46" for the stove plus its side clearances.

Also - Smaller is better! It's for a 740 square foot new construction house.
The Rais Q Tee 2 has a left-hinge door. Considered a small stove, and it certainly is in aesthetic and footprint. But it also can throw lots of heat. We had it installed, with the optional steel base, in Nov ‘21 (to replace an old Vermont Castings), and we’re loving it. It delivers on style and space-economy — which we wanted and needed for our small c.1780 farmhouse. We replaced the wall behind it with a new non-combustible wall (concrete board and steel struts) so we could place it as close to the wall as specs allowed. Plus it’s baffle system creates beautiful flames, nicely viewed through its large glass front and the raised firebox the base provides. It has >75% efficiency, so we qualify for the tax credit. I suggest you give it a look.

I had the same issue and went with osburn, I think the 1700 might work well for you

Last edited:
The Rais Q Tee 2 has a left-hinge door. Considered a small stove, and it certainly is in aesthetic and footprint. But it also can throw lots of heat. We had it installed, with the optional steel base, in Nov ‘21 (to replace an old Vermont Castings), and we’re loving it. It delivers on style and space-economy — which we wanted and needed for our small c.1780 farmhouse. We replaced the wall behind it with a new non-combustible wall (concrete board and steel struts) so we could place it as close to the wall as specs allowed. Plus it’s baffle system creates beautiful flames, nicely viewed through its large glass front and the raised firebox the base provides. It has >75% efficiency, so we qualify for the tax credit. I suggest you give it a look.
I’m looking at the Q tee 2! Very curious to get your specs on what you’re heating in square foot and what your winters are like. I’m in Canada and am looking to add a stove to a small corner to supplement heat in one area of the house. Thanks!

@Gmofighter: The stove sits in a dining/sitting room space of approx. 300 sf, but also warms adjacent kitchen, and, if we leave room doors open, the living room. The room has very low ceiling (76”, we installed heat shield) so warmth stays at people-level. Good luck!

Reactions: Gmofighter