Leftover Wood Rack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaintenanceMan

Minister of Fire
Feb 25, 2010
Southern IN
I built a deck several years back and had kept a bunch of the scraps and leftover composite materials. I had them stored up in my garage attic and decided to make use of some. I had this idea floating around in my head for some time now. I wanted to make a wood rack that I could take apart and store under the deck in the summer so I can fit our deck box in this same spot, but in the fall/winter I want to keep some additional firewood here for easy access right out the backdoor. The roof, back, and sides unscrew easily and it will come apart if I want to get it out of the way. Doesn't hold a lot of wood, but it's more storage and closer to the house than the rest. Plus it didn't cost anything...

Made completely out of leftover scraps.
001.JPG

About 3' high x 4' wide. Holds splits 18" deep
002.JPG

Full of Red Oak
007.JPG

The little platform in front is something I made just for the heck of it to put my can that I store my ash can in.
011.JPG

I keep the ash can outside for safety. It's the "can in a can" ash system..Lol
010.JPG

Made an ash can out of a metal 5 gallon bucket and fabricated a tight fitting lid for it in the sheet metal shop. Brass knob and some high temp spray paint... Not too shabby for free.
009.JPG

I like the wood holder . . . the ash can, even with the double system -- not so much . . . I generally advocate moving the ash can off and away from anything combustible. Truth is chances are any errant coals should never get the can hot enough (especially with the double can system) to ignite any combustibles it is touching . . . but I am a belt and suspenders sort of guy and tend to err on the side of safety.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I like the wood holder . . . the ash can, even with the double system -- not so much . . . I generally advocate moving the ash can off and away from anything combustible. Truth is chances are any errant coals should never get the can hot enough (especially with the double can system) to ignite any combustibles it is touching . . . but I am a belt and suspenders sort of guy and tend to err on the side of safety.

I can appreciate the sentiment. I actually checked it several times before making this it's "home" using my IR thermometer. I'm convinced, even full of hot coals (which I don't put in there often) it wouldn't be a hazard at all. But on the off chance that I do have a significant amount of coals in it I set it out on my concrete patio. I like for it to end up back in the galvanized can eventually so it's right out the backdoor within easy reach in the morning and not wet/covered with snow when I bring it in the house. Works well.

I can appreciate the sentiment. I actually checked it several times before making this it's "home" using my IR thermometer. I'm convinced, even full of hot coals (which I don't put in there often) it wouldn't be a hazard at all. But on the off chance that I do have a significant amount of coals in it I set it out on my concrete patio. I like for it to end up back in the galvanized can eventually so it's right out the backdoor within easy reach in the morning and not wet/covered with snow when I bring it in the house. Works well.

I would have clicked "Like" on this . . . except that I have apparently reached my "like limit."

Reactions: MaintenanceMan
I like how you added the "keystone" Gives it a nice touch.

Thanks. It needed something and I had just enough to add that and the narrow trim along the top.

I would have clicked "Like" on this . . . except that I have apparently reached my "like limit."

That's funny. I had no idea we were limited on our "Likes".

Reactions: D8Chumley
Very nice. I too like to make use of everything cause I'm on very tight budget. I threw one together this week for the inside with some scrap wood. It's not finalized yet. Gonna wrap it with pallet wood and old Tin or the wife is gonna antique it
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Went with some old pallet wood for a more rustic look

Last edited:
Reactions: firefighterjake
Nice! :)

I agree about your ash can. Looks good to me, and I'm also a belt & suspenders kind of person. If you added a couple of bricks to the bottom inside the galvanized can you'd have belt, suspenders, and harness. ==c

My deck is covered, so my "just by the door" rack is just one of those "make your own woodrack with 2 2x4s" deals (a gift from my sister). It holds a week's worth, or thereabouts. Not pretty like yours, but it gets the job done. Currently filled with a mix of cedar (mostly) and pine, and a bit of oak, for the shoulder season.

Yea, the issue with the ash can is keeping it from being tipped over, wind, curious animal, kids, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.