Legal Install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfdchief

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 24, 2009
Tuscola, IL
myplace.frontier.com
I spotted this install across the street while fighting a house fire the other day. This guy obviously didn't get a permit and may very well be the next fire call :ahhh:

Attachments

• Stove pipe.jpg
    Stove pipe.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 785
Had one like that last year right behind me. He actually set the elbow on tarpaper on a shed roof. I had the fire chief stop and warn him but there is nothing really we could do. You can't pass law's against stupidity.
Doug

Perfectly fine. Nothing to see here people, move along.

You should talk to this guy, see if you can talk some common sense into him. If he doesnt listen, you have trucks..ropes and can make a lasso.

The basketball hoop indicates there is a child or children there.

I see the eves trough with the downspout is right above it, would that be for cooling?

You should talk to this guy, see if you can talk some common sense into him.
The basketball hoop indicates there is a child or children there.

Yes, you are right. That will be my next step. It is a violation of codes in the city, but prosecuting this kind of violation is not as easy as some might think. The common sense visit will always get it done quicker than a citation. Hopefully with Spring almost here, I will have some time to get this fixed. The other issue that usually prevails in situations like this, is that there is no money to do it right....the reason they are burning wood and installing like this in the first place.

Honestly guys, more often than not the folks around here who do that stuff just aren't interested in hearing about it. They've "been doing it that way longer than you've been alive, son," and just aren't interested. Unfortunately some folks have to find out the hard way.

double-d said:
I see the eves trough with the downspout is right above it, would that be for cooling?

Yes, I thought that was very thought out by this fellow....

At least they didn't mount the backboard and hoop on the stove pipe, they were very careful to maintain a safe clearance.

Jim

From what Im looking at chief, the ONLY way youre gonna get anywhere in that situation is if you provide, some if not all of the labor, and the finances. Good luck.

I wish that I had my camera when I passed one of the houses I take alternative route to work.

Picture this:

Covered Porch, 6'+ overhang, Double hung windows, looked like paneling over the lower half.

Out through the lower half of said window, 90 up to the upper, 2 feet vertical, 90 to the right, 6 feet horizontal (if not more) dead level with the porch roof, 90 DOWN, 90 right, ~1' pipe, 90 up, about 6' of pipe, 90 out, 90 up, 90 left,* 90 right* (*= rain cap?!?!)

I don't know what kind of stove they had, and how much gunk they had, but it was like that since December, until now. I didn't see it today when I took my alternative route to work, but somehow the house was still standing?? I do know that it was in an Incorporated village where the constables are know to give out tickets for most insignificant infractions of the law. It is also less than a mile from the fire house, and the Mayors office is right next to to fire house.

Franks said:
Perfectly fine. Nothing to see here people, move along.

You should talk to this guy, see if you can talk some common sense into him. If he doesnt listen, you have trucks..ropes and can make a lasso.

Maybe no need for truck and rope. It looks like it's ready to rust through soon.

50 yrs ago, nobody would have batted an eyelash. there are still set-ups like that around here! once i get my camera, i'll drive you guys nuts

whats scary is ive seen worse like the same set up but no wod in the window just some plexi glass.

I could take so many picture of chimneys that look exactly like that one around here. I pass about 4 every morning on my way to work. There was a trailer that burnt to the ground this winter just down the road from us. They had a pipe stuck through the side of the trailer with nothing more than a piece of sheetmetal surrounding it however the thing that burnt the trailer down was the fact the stove had no hearth or ember protection and was sitting on the carpet in the middle of the living room. Thanks God they weren't home when the carpet caught fire!

You can't see this one very well but I couldn't get any closer without risking getting shot.

Attachments

• stove1.jpg
    stove1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 484
Must steam up nice in the rain since the downspout flows right on to the elbow.

I may be wrong, but that could be the camera angle. It seems odd that they would carry the shed roof over to where the flue pipe is. I think the downspout is actually a good couple feet to the right of the smoke pipe.

So really, what are the problems, for one such as I who doesn't know all the codes?

Is it that an exposed pipe is required to be stainless/insulated, or that the thimble is not adequate?
Too close to the eves?
It looks like the pipe is stayed with wires.

If that downspout does hit the pipe, its just the redneck smokescreen for the gub'mint aircraft.

I'd like to see someone start a thread of unsafe installs in the Picture room.

Status
Not open for further replies.