'Legal' or 'Illegal'?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Treefella

Mar 12, 2022
North country
I've got a new-never-run Jotul F600 firelight CB stove that I bought in 2008. I noticed that this stove has been discontinued by Jotul. Does anyone know if this stove is legal to install and use, or has the powers-that-be deemed it not efficient enough to meet EPA guidelines? Really hoping I don't have a $2000 curiosity.

As far as I know there isn't anywhere installing a pre 2020 stove is illegal.

I’d take a catch me approach myself depending on hook up.

It's not illegal guys

Reactions: Ashful
Yep, just a curiosity. You cant use it at all. I will be there this week with $500 for 5x scrap money and take it off your hands. 🤣

Thats a killer of a stove, your lucky to have a brand new one.

Seems to good to be true...I thought I saw something in Massachusetts code in updates but maybe someone from Mass can chime in.

Here is what i read...Chapter 11 Energy Efficiency - N1100.1 N1101.6 N1101.13

Mass Code Amendments

M State website

Maybe I am reading it wrong...hopefully...I guess if you made the cutoff you would be within compliance of code.

Last edited:
Last year I installed a circa 2005 VC Encore in my house and the building inspector didn’t care about the age. They just want to make sure the clearances are good.

I’m in upstate NY.

It's not illegal guys
Yes,I believe you are right. But other things to consider. In some states, would be illegal to sell this stove, just as in some,would be illegal to sell your house with this stove installed, even though it was previously EPA and that state approved. And we also have heard of insurance companies denying coverage, as they go by the states current "approved" list. There is a member here that knows all this stuff, perhaps he will see this and give us the facts,as I don't keep up on such things.
But a beautiful stove, and I know some out here would love to have it.

Here is another area ...phoenix

if im reading it correctly an you live nh I would install quick and pull a permit. seems like a lot of states are going to the latest energy code rules.

status of state energy code

Yes,I believe you are right. But other things to consider. In some states, would be illegal to sell this stove, just as in some,would be illegal to sell your house with this stove installed, even though it was previously EPA and that state approved. And we also have heard of insurance companies denying coverage, as they go by the states current "approved" list. There is a member here that knows all this stuff, perhaps he will see this and give us the facts,as I don't keep up on such things.
But a beautiful stove, and I know some out here would love to have it.
I have never heard of any insurance having a problem with any stove unless it is unlisted.

I also don't know of any state where you as a private owner can't sell a stove that is EPA certified to a previous standard.

I have never heard of any insurance having a problem with any stove unless it is unlisted.

I also don't know of any state where you as a private owner can't sell a stove that is EPA certified to a previous standard.
Oregon? I thought you couldn't sell a home with an old stove? I think Oregon has other silly laws about selling parts too. but maybe someone can chime in from Oregon. I think the problem is installation not the sale.

WA for one. "Certified" there means EPA and WA state approved. Both are required.
FOr a while, we,here in MT, saw a lot of older stoves brought in from WA and OR to sell here, as illegal in their states.

Reactions: MR. GLO
Oregon? I thought you couldn't sell a home with an old stove? I think Oregon has other silly laws about selling parts too. but maybe someone can chime in from Oregon. I think the problem is installation not the sale.
Old pre EPA stove you are absolutely correct. But again I don't think it needs to be 2020

Yes certified. But I don't think it says certified to 2020 standards. I could be wrong.
WA has an approved list, that is "updated", and older even previously approved stoves are dropped. this stove here,the f600, has been dropped, but the last version, the f601 is still on there.

Begreen and another member here stay up on this legal stuff,I only know what I have seen here and on the news.

I see what bholler is saying. EPA says so many g/hr

But how would you know an old stove g/hr

WA has an approved list, that is "updated", and older even previously approved stoves are dropped. this stove here,the f600, has been dropped, but the last version, the f601 is still on there.
That may be true. I was under the impression is was any EPA certified stove. But I could absolutely be wrong I havnt dug into it because none of it applies to us in pa. Here the only requirement applies to sales of new stoves.

That applies to pre-EPA stoves. WA state has a similar ruling. The 2008 F600 is a qualified EPA stove. I don't know what an F601 is.
FYI, the WA list does not seem to include post-2020 stoves. Does that mean they are not allowed? Of course not. This is a snippet from the now dated WA state list.

Screen Shot 2022-03-13 at 11.21.06 AM.png

Last edited:
Old pre EPA stove you are absolutely correct. But again I don't think it needs to be 2020
Yes I think you are correct with 2020 standards with a sale in oregon...but each state and municipality is different. All depends when stove was installed and with a permit. Blurry.

This thread started quickly with "As far as I know there isn't anywhere installing a pre 2020 stove is illegal"
This seems incorrect.

It's sad we cant burn what was already paid for and taxed.

Yes I think you are correct with 2020 standards with a sale in oregon...but each state and municipality is different. All depends when stove was installed and with a permit. Blurry.

This thread started quickly with "As far as I know there isn't anywhere installing a pre 2020 stove is illegal"
This seems incorrect.

It's sad we cant burn what was already paid for and taxed.
How is that incorrect? I have yet to see anything saying you can't install a stove that is EPA certified to a pre 2020 standard like the stove in question. Many areas don't even require any permits for stove installs.

How is that incorrect? I have yet to see anything saying you can't install a stove that is EPA certified to a pre 2020 standard like the stove in question. Many areas don't even require any permits for stove installs.
As for the stove in question I think NH uses 2015 IRC for energy codes. So i think he is ok...but we all should get involved with elections because the laws are changing quick...Some states have amendments. Some municipalities ban wood stoves all together in new construction. So once NH adopts a newer version that stove would be banned if installed after the adoption correct? Even in the North Country I would pull a permit just to be grandfathered or in compliance with the code at a later date..

to answer you question you said ...
"As far as I know there isn't anywhere installing a pre 2020 stove is illegal"

I am not an expert but from what I am reading .....So for example a pre 2020 stove could be a jotul 121, or a fisher, etc....so I believe any state that has adopted the energy code for certain specific particulate matter would not support your statement. each state has a list of what they adopted. the op is 4.1 g/hr i dont know what a jotul 121 is but its not near 4.1.

Did you read the mass energy codes i sent you and the link to the states see above...

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/viewer.html?pdfurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mass.gov%2Fdoc%2F780-cmr-ninth-edition-residential-chapter-11-energy-efficiency-amendments%2Fdownload&clen=544399&chunk=true

As for the stove in question I think NH uses 2015 IRC for energy codes. So i think he is ok...but we all should get involved with elections because the laws are changing quick...Some states have amendments. Some municipalities ban wood stoves all together in new construction. So once NH adopts a newer version that stove would be banned if installed after the adoption correct? Even in the North Country I would pull a permit just to be grandfathered or in compliance with the code at a later date..

to answer you question you said ...
"As far as I know there isn't anywhere installing a pre 2020 stove is illegal"

I am not an expert but from what I am reading .....So for example a pre 2020 stove could be a jotul 121, or a fisher, etc....so I believe any state that has adopted the energy code for certain specific particulate matter would not support your statement. each state has a list of what they adopted. the op is 4.1 g/hr i dont know what a jotul 121 is but its not near 4.1.

Did you read the mass energy codes i sent you and the link to the states see above...

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/viewer.html?pdfurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mass.gov%2Fdoc%2F780-cmr-ninth-edition-residential-chapter-11-energy-efficiency-amendments%2Fdownload&clen=544399&chunk=true
Yes I read it and I can't find anything in it saying stoves have to be 2020 compliant to be installed.

And you are correct I should have worded it correctly. I meant EPA certified but to pre 2020 standards