Lennox Winslow PI40 Auger shutting off.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SMITHWT3

Jan 19, 2020
Stuarts Draft Va
This seems to be a common problem, but I am not making much headway in correcting the issue.

I started to notice in the fall when I started to burn the pellet stove that after an hour or so, it would cut off. I would go over and hit the start button and it would go back to running just to have the same event happen after a period of running. Started the process of troubleshooting. I replaced the vacuum sensor switch. It was not a OEM and it did not bolt up correctly, and I did have to lengthen the vacuum hose. I put a jumper on the Over Temperature Snap Switch and the and the Convection Blower Snap Switch. The only snap switch I have not checked is the Proof of Fire Switch on the Combustion Blower. I also need to clean out the firebox as well. The previous owner told me to change the door gasket. His thoughts were, it was not sealing? Any help would be appreciated.

How old is the stove? Has the combustion blower ever been replaced? When was the last time the vent was cleaned? Combustion blower removed and cleaned? All the pathes trough the stove been brushed and vacuumed or better yet the whole thing leaf blower cleaned?

I am not exactly sure on the age of the stove. The house is 13 years old and was not there when the house was built. The previous owner add the pellet stove later. I am speculating 10 years. The combustion blower has never been replaced to my knowledge. The only thing that was replaced was the igniter from what the previous owner told me. I am going to be honest with you that after reading the manual online, there is some cleaning functions that I have not performed. I do sweep the chimney each year and I did clean the flu passageways over Christmas. I really think I need to pull the stove out of the insert and really go through it as the manual recommends. So, I would say from reading your post, I need to perform a clean per the manual, then see what happens from there. I will do that, then get back to you when completed. Not sure when I will get this done, but I will be back in touch. Thank you for your help.

Leaf Blower
Sucks the ash out of the stove and expels it out the chimney
(Vac from the top of chimney)
Open the door of the stove to allow enough air to get into the stove
and not blow any vac. switches

Reactions: Ssyko
I was thinking today that I clean the chimney/vent line every fall. I have a brush, but I am going from the top down. So my thinking is, of course the ash as to fall down into the firebox. I have never cleaned that out. I am going to pull the pellet stove insert out tomorrow after work and give it a good cleaning. I will post my results.

Okay, I did a real good clean on my pellet stove. I did not do the leaf blower method, however, that will be the way I will clean going forward. Saw some videos on how to use a leaf blower for cleaning. I could see how that pulls all the ash out of your stove. I removed the pellet stove from the insert. I vacuumed everywhere I could clean. I pulled the fan motors out on the convection and combustion blowers. The fire box below the chimney/vent, I cleaned out. I did find the snap switch on the combustion blower was dirty so I cleaned that off. Put everything back together and started. I could tell right away that the blower sounded different and I was noticing more heat blowing as well. However, after about an hour of running, the auger quit feeding. I guess the auger motor is the next thing I should replace?

Thank you for your help.

I can recall one time that it did not run very long before cutting off. Maybe less than 30 minutes. I can confirm that the majority of the time it runs at least a hour. I have never really timed it, but I can start to do that if it will help the troubleshooting aspect of it.

On page 14 Fig. 13 of this manual you will see that there is a small wire (jumper wire) that needs to go from screw to screw (back of control box)
Check to make sure it is in place and screws are tight someone else had a similar issue and the wire was missing.

Lets start with that....

Attachments

• 900139-00_B_IRN_PI40_Pellet_Insert_EN_IICO.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 282
On page 14 Fig. 13 of this manual you will see that there is a small wire (jumper wire) that needs to go from screw to screw (back of control box)
Check to make sure it is in place and screws are tight someone else had a similar issue and the wire was missing.

Lets start with that....
Robert, Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this issue. I will check that this evening when I get home from work. I did time the stove yesterday when I started it, and it ran about one hour and the augur quit feeding. I want to ask also, would it hurt to replace the door gasket?

Robert, Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this issue. I will check that this evening when I get home from work. I did time the stove yesterday when I started it, and it ran about one hour and the augur quit feeding. I want to ask also, would it hurt to replace the door gasket?

Never hurts to replace the door gasket especially if its flattened out bad, put a piece of paper in the door, close it if it pulls out easy might be time to replace it..

Robert, I did remove the side panel that had the controls mounted on it to check what you recommended. Once I removed it and place it in a area that I could see, I did notice the white wire was pulled out from the terminal. I cannot say that I may have pulled it out while removing because the bundle of cables that go to another contact point on the control panel does not have much slack. So it is hard to remove that particular side panel. I removed both wires and check the terminals and reinstalled. I was really hoping this was the issue, but after a hour, give or take a few minutes. The auger stopped feeding again. I hit the start button a couple of times to get started again. It was a little temperamental starting. Usually it takes off on the first try. This time it would feed then cut off, but it did get going later.

I did use a dollar bill on the door gasket. It did pull out with a little effort. You can tell that the door gasket is flat and I have read articles that a leaking door gasket can cause problems. Not really sure what to try next. Not sure if the control panel sending the signal is going bad or the auger motor needs to be replaced?

I hope you can get this figured out for me and I really appreciate all your help.

Terry

No, not getting any red lights flashing. It will run and I keep checking to see if the augur light comes on, or I can hear the pellets getting fed in. Then like I said, after an hour, there is no fire. I was asking another person on YouTube if I should be seeing a fault light, and he said not necessarily. He thought the augur motor was getting hot and cutting off, but I am able to start right back up not long after I notice it has cut off. I was thinking it is getting hot, it should not start right back up until it has cooled down?

Any luck, it seems like it could be the control board?? You have replace almost everything else, and while im not sure IMO its not the auger. That one hour time frame is whats throwing me off. The control board is a big ticket item (est.$300.00)

Robert, The only thing I have not done is bypass the proof of fire snap switch. I did remove and clean it and it was pretty dirty. Should I try that? I have bypassed all the other snap switches but that one. I was thinking the control board too. When you think about it, the control board is what tells the auger to cut on. I was thinking about replacing the auger motor, but if you really do not think that is the issue I will not try it. Where I live we are in a warm spell now and I have not been using the stove.

Robert,

Good news! I got home after work yesterday and installed the jumper on the control board at the thermostat terminal. That seems to be the fix. It ran for hours without shutting off. Will it still be okay to leave the jumper until I can purchase a control board?

The jumper on the back of the control board is installed to tell the stove to run in manual mode, I think you are good to go and I see no reason to purchase a new control board!
The only time the jumper on back of control board should be removed is when running stove on a thermostat.

Reactions: Overfireinthehole