Winslow PI40 will stop feeding pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stoof

Dec 29, 2019
Columbus, OH
Hi all,

I’ve seen some other PI40 threads on here that were similar (stove will ignite but will not stay lit) but in my case there are no red error code lights as described in the manual: http://ironstrike.us.com/system/doc...IRN_PI40_Pellet_Insert_EN_IICO.pdf?1534458108

Instead, in my case the ready light will flash green when this happens. If I catch it on time I just turn the knob to OFF and then back to the heat level I want and it will continue on as normal.

I cleaned the POF switch and also tested by bridging both the POF and the convection fan switch but it made no difference. Since it’s not throwing any of the red light errors as described in the manual I am not sure what this could be.
I recently bought the insert used locally and installed it with flex liner up to the top of the chimney and this issue has occurred since the start (only used about a bag of Somersets thus far)

thanks in advance for any suggestions and let me know if any other details are needed.

@robert65 it has been every single time as far as I can tell. I haven’t timed it but I’m guessing it’s after approx 30-40 mins. Have you ever had this occur with yours?

Actually I have had it occur a few times maybe 10 since i have owned it (10+ years) and the only thing i notice when it does it is i think when both fans kick on at the same time. Not sure though and yes I turn it to off and back on and its fine. Its very strange??

But mine only does it very rarely when starting up, i guess replacing the Proof of Fire snap switch would be a cheap start

Wish I could be more help!

Let me know....

I can certainly try replacing the proof of fire snap. However, I was under the impression that by circumventing the POF I could rule it out as being the culprit?
I also don’t get a large flame on setting 3. Not sure if that’s normal or not or related in any sort of way. I’ve been adjusting the air intake but haven’t found it to make a big difference.

Also, the issue only appears to occur when the insert is up to temp and the convection blower is running. I had it on low yesterday and it took a while for the convection fan to kick on and it never did the green blinking during that period. Not sure if that’s an app indication of something or not.

I can certainly try replacing the proof of fire snap. However, I was under the impression that by circumventing the POF I could rule it out as being the culprit?
I also don’t get a large flame on setting 3. Not sure if that’s normal or not or related in any sort of way. I’ve been adjusting the air intake but haven’t found it to make a big difference.
Wish i could be more help with that, I have gotten to know this stove pretty good and that is a strange problem. Also the stove usually does not have a huge flame even on 3....but it can put out a decent amount of heat. How is your door gasket? In good shape and a good seal?

Maybe the Convection Blower Snap Switch could be replaced, hate to be guessing but it couldn't hurt. I am 99% sure its not the control board because I have replaced mine once and it did it with both boards. Again mine only does it once or twice a season so I apologize but that's all I have.

Keep me informed if you get it solved

I’m glad you don’t think it’s the board! I will try bypassing both switches tonight to see if there is any change and will probably replace both snap switches.
the door gasket looks quite clean but when doing the dollar bill test, it does pull out quite easily. I should probably replace that also. Do you suggest I get one specifically for the Winslow or can I just pick up a generic one and cut to length?

Thanks for all your help so far @robert65 really very much appreciated! I’ll be sure to keep you posted!

A generic door gasket should be fine, remove old one and follow directions to install new one. It will be tight to close at first but settles over time. Go on Youtube to watch gasket install videos they really help.

Not sure if you have this? Save it if you do not....

Attachments

• Country_PS_40_Pellet_Technician's_Manual.pdf
    217.8 KB · Views: 346
Not sure if you have this? Save it if you do not....
I did not, that is very useful and answered a lot of questions I couldn’t find in the regular user manual, thanks a lot for the link!

I think I have figured out the issue with the help of that manual. On page 9 it’s talking about the shut down mode (flashing green lights) and says this:

Shut down mode with the stove hooked up to a thermostat- When the thermostat is satisfied, the stove will switch to setting 1, and continue to burn for one hour. If the thermostat does not call for heat during that hour, the stove will switch into the shut down mode. If the thermostat calls for heat during the shutdown mode, the stove automatically switch into the ignition mode.

after bypassing the POF, convection and then also the vacuum switches with no change, I decided to time when the ready light turns on. It’s exactly 60 minutes! So I’m pretty sure it has to do with the thermostat, the stove thinking there is one. So now it’s just a question of how to change that.

Isn't there a little jumper cable on the back of the control box, you may have to remove the panel to see the back of the box, i think its shaped like a small "U"

Isn't there a little jumper cable on the back of the control box, you may have to remove the panel to see the back of the box, i think its shaped like a small "U"

Is this for the thermostat where the small U wire needs to go?

6EF21163-A64A-40FC-BF04-C12D74F59578.jpeg

Thanks for pointing me to that thermostat section of the regular manual, I made a jumper wire and it has been running non-stop ever since! Kept it on setting 1 all day and has kept the house nice and comfortable! Thanks again @robert65 for your terrific help! I’m wondering whether the once a season issue you are having is related to the thermostat connection on the control board in any way?

Thanks for pointing me to that thermostat section of the regular manual, I made a jumper wire and it has been running non-stop ever since! Kept it on setting 1 all day and has kept the house nice and comfortable! Thanks again @robert65 for your terrific help! I’m wondering whether the once a season issue you are having is related to the thermostat connection on the control board in any way?
Glad you are up and running, its overall a decent stove and has served me pretty well over the years

Any other questions just reach out!