Let's see pics of inserts without surrounds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pgmr

Feeling the Heat
Jan 14, 2006
Central Indiana
I've been contemplating swapping out our classic insert for a modern epa insert. However, we have an outside corner fireplace and I kind of like the look and extra heat output of our current insert w/o surround panels. A custom panel could be fabricated for the short side, but I'd like to see if anyone has a modern insert installed without surround or pics of the side of your insert before installation.

Got the Reg 2400 installed last Feb. working great this year. moved the Thermo-meter to above the door handle.

Attachments

• insert.jpg
    insert.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,483
Side before install

sept082.jpg

Here's my install. I've got to clean my hearth because I just opened a doorway from 28" to 75" to try and get the heat distributed better into the front living room where the tv is. It's worked like a charm too, but got a little drywall dust on everything. Mine didn't come with the surround panels and I like the look of it sitting in there. I just fixed my major eyesore which was the stainless liner. I had tried to paint it, but all it did was make the folds blackish with the stainless shining through. Finally I got the idea of getting just a plain old black stove pipe 8" diameter and cut it to fit. I was going to snap it on the liner, but liked the look of it at 12" or so diameter. I think It's legal for me to do that, and I've already burned a few fires with it like that so it's ok with me no matter what 'code' says. I like my 'new' stove though, but if yours is working then I don't know if I'd change it out just for fun.

Attachments

• lopi-without.jpg
    lopi-without.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 945
Do you mean to put an insert in without the surrounding box?
My vista insert would look pretty odd that way. It has air channels welded to the top, and I am pretty sure that it isn't UL listed for that type of instal. Anyone else thing that it would be a code violation?

I don't know if it's possible to take the surrounding box off. Mine is welded quite well. I never thought of the question that way before because I consider welding and cutting on an insert or any wood stove a not-smart endeavor. As far as the surrounding panels that just cover the hearth hole, In my locale it's perfectly ok to leave it open as long as you are using a full liner. You've got to buy the panels separately anyway so it's not even really a part of the stove but then again, you've got to buy everything separately with Lopi.

Status
Not open for further replies.