leveling firebox to hearth for new insert installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Boxer

Aug 30, 2009
SE Ohio
My firebox is almost an inch lower than the bricks on my hearth. The bottom of my insert is flat but the front part hangs out of the firebox 5 inches. It has four leveling bolts but they are not long enough to make up an inch. I though about longer bolts but that seems like a lot of weight to set on four bolts sittting on fire brick.

What is the best way to build this up so I’m flush with the hearth? I saw a similar thread but it was from 2006. What have you guys used to get around this?

Thanks

I would use any non-shrink grout available at most building supplies. A 50lb bag of Sika 212 for example will cover an area about 27"x27" at 1" thick, you might need 2 bags depending on the size of the firebox floor. The easiest way to apply it is to mix with the maximum specified water volume - this will make it pourable and self-leveling.

1" fire brick a couple layers of cement board steel u channel what ever you have that is noncombustible

I'm with bholler. Keep it simple. Support the bottom of the firebox with some 1" thick firebrick. I have seen many, many insert installed this way. I would not just support the corners, but the entire area. You would use concrete bricks/slabs as well. Look at building supply stores.

Thanks guys. I picked up my chimney this morning. I’m headed to Lowe’s now to grab some supplies. I’ll find something to level it up. I’m leaning towards durock board or bricks. I want to have the option to go back to a regular fireplace if I ever sell the house.

Thanks guys. I picked up my chimney this morning. I’m headed to Lowe’s now to grab some supplies. I’ll find something to level it up. I’m leaning towards durock board or bricks. I want to have the option to go back to a regular fireplace if I ever sell the house.

If you use the boards, you can do micro adjustments as they are available in different thicknesses.

If you use the boards, you can do micro adjustments as they are available in different thicknesses.

I went with two pieces of 1/2 inch Durock. It built up perfectly. Tomorrow I hope to get the chimney installed and a block off plate made. I wasted a lot of time today running around gathering supplies. Hopefully tomorrow I can get something done.