Liberty warped steel?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

boisblancboy

Hearth Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
Northern Michigan
Hey guys while relighting a fire after emptying the ashes I noticed that piece of steel in the very center of the back of the firebox looked like it had warped at the top edge. I'll add a picture. I'm just wondering if it indeed has warped or is this how it's made. Hoping it is fine and nothing needs to be done or fixed.

Attachments

• IMG_0645.JPG
    IMG_0645.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 261
Thanks Green, glad to see from that link it doesn't seem like there is any serious issue. I guess I have to take a better look at it when the heating season is over. In the meantime I'll continue to do some research on it for possible fixes/replacements.

If anyone else has anything to add Id be interested in hearing about it. Thank you!

I just had the same area inside of my Avalon Olympic repaired, the Liberty & Olympic are darn near the same inside. If you get to Cheboygan go to Richendolllars and check it out, they have both stoves there to compare. Beings that your on Boblo Island right nows a bad time to have a mobile welder stich it up for you.

I can not imagine that it is a healthy situation, the air is supposed to go through the manifold to the tubes, now it's spilling out in one spot. Do you have a welder?

You may be able to take a 3' piece of 2X4 and knock the bow of the warp back in when its hot. Schwartz Boiler shop in Cheboygan is a local welding shop. The guy who does my welding is in Indian River, it cost me $50 to fix mine.

You can weld that thing all you want it will keep warping and over time the welds will again break around the heat affected area of the weld. Seen it many times.

All Liberty's have the same issue, my stove is from February 1997 and the back is cracked, warped and deformed. Bottom line, Travis Industries missed the materials class they should have taken before they designed these stoves!!!

Thanks Bushman, I have done business with Swartz also. Good people. Yes I do have a welder, stick.

I'm not opposed to fixing or replacing the part as long as it's going to be better/strong than original, at least that's what I'm hoping.

Keep the options and opinions coming. Like I said early once the heating season is over I'll really dig into it.