Life expectency of a vogelzang box wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
even if you followed all the safety and clearance requirments ,could you imagine if you got her running strong for several hours fully loaded with glowing/flaming hardwood and that heat buckled the loosely assmebled sides ,they give out and it collapsed apart right onto your floor in a fiery blaze ,im not sure a small fire extinguisher could even put that kind of situation out ,what if yo u went inside the house for a phone call or to make a pot of coffee and it happend without you knowing ?

In 2007 when I was looking for a shop stove, I saw the Vogelzang box stove at Lowes and thought it was what I wanted, because it was so inexpensive. Then I did a bit of research and learned about the clearances required and decided I didn't want to give up that big a footprint. My shop's not as large as yours. I spent more money, but not a fortune, and got an EPA-approved Century steel stove, and never looked back. Since that time, I've learned a ton more about the whole world of woodburning and stoves, and I'm doubly glad I made the decision to get the Century. I love it. Rick

Attachments

• shop.jpg
    shop.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 464
Life expectancy? As in, how long will it take for you to realize what a turkey it is and get rid of it? :)

Mish, you did not offend me in the least. I'm sorry if I came across in that manner. There are no welds whatsoever on any cast box stove I know of. I thought after reading your comments that you had one and it failed you in some regard. czar, I have had mine a bit over a decade I think but it was used when I bought it and it only burns a month or so a year all totaled. I do get a bit perplexed at all the folks who bash them based on no 1st hand experience. It is what it is. Is it in any way comparable to my Oslo or my Castine? Not in the slightest. However the stove does serve it's purpose and so far so good.
Joe

polaris said:
I do get a bit perlexed at all the folks who bash them based on no 1st hand expieriance.

I have first hand experience with one...(deer camp). So does that mean that my bashing is acceptable?? :lol:

Jags said:
polaris said:
I do get a bit perlexed at all the folks who bash them based on no 1st hand expieriance.

I have first hand experience with one...(deer camp). So does that mean that my bashing is acceptable?? :lol:
Yep, Bash your heart out. Where is your camp?
Joe

polaris said:
Yep, Bash your heart out. Where is your camp?
Joe

About 17 miles from my home door step. It is a hand made log cabin (from trees off of the property) that is really getting rough. Just brought in a job trailer with all the goodies to replace it.

EDIT: its a group thing...not mine alone.

My first wood stove was an Ashley tin can. It performed much the same way and with its glowing sides served as a dandy night light.

I know of two people that have Vogelzang box stoves that they bought from either Northern Tool or Harbor Freight. They paid around $750 for them and they both love them. Obviously these are different stoves than what the OP asked about but made by the same Chinese company. I thought about buying one for my garage up in Maine.

Status
Not open for further replies.