Lignetics vs AWF vs Appling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shorehaman

Jul 3, 2008
eastern L.I.
Last month I promised to compare this year's pellets with some left over lignetics that I had bought last year. MY Quad CB 1200i was installed last December and I burned almost 3 tons of Lignetics during the rest of the season. I was very satisfied with heat output and ash production, but since I had burned no other pellet I had nothing to compare to.

However, I was not able to find Lignetics on Long Island this season and prices on everything else are typically > $300 dollars per ton plus delivery. I finally bought 3 tons of American Wood Fiber (AWF) pellets that I found on Craigs list for $295 a ton, plus a service charge of $20 for delivery. I bought AWF because of the generally favorable comments I had read on this forum. I also purchased 4 bags of Appling County hardwood pellets which were being sold for $265 a ton plus delivery in order to give them a try just in case. I had been leery of them because of comments on the forum.

So here is my initial impressions.

AWF pellets are very light colored compared to the darker Lignetics and Appling. The pellet size is very uniform and much shorter than the Lignetics and Appling pellets. They ignite quickly and generate a very nice heat, certainly comparable to the Lignetics. Ash production is very similar to the Lignetics. Dust and fines are low and similar to the Lignetics. One intersting point, the Lignetics pellets formed clinkers which I had to remove each day. The residual ash in the firepot from the AWF is easily spread when touched. I am quite satisfied with the AWF so far.

I only burned one bag of the Appling. The pellets were very dusty when poured from the bag and generated much more ash. There was much more fines compared to the Lignetics and the AWF. It was quite inferior in my opinion to the other two brands.

I hope this is of interest.

Bob

Sounds like the awf are softwood pellets which IMHO are the best pellets to burn

Bob, you've pretty much confirmed what we've said about the Appling all along....a poor pellet.

But at least there's hope fpr the AWF. Your review seems good, and they're one of the pellets that seem readily available. I bought a bag of them, plus a bag of Marth and one of Clean Energy at Lowes yesterday ($4.98/bag) to test out. It figures that the temps would go back up to 70 today...LOL.

mtalea said:
Sounds like the awf are softwood pellets which IMHO are the best pellets to burn

I don't know if they make softwood. The only ones I've seen are hardwood.

ur right hardwood,when u said light in color and smell clean I thought soft wood..u ever try hamers hot ones? I bought a ton last year and they were awful,smelled like dirt and burned ok but not near as well as the lg's

I work for AWF and wanted to answer some ot the questions about AWF pellets. They are a hardwood (mostly oak) blend. We do add a little (less than 5%) softwood as this seems to kick the BTUs up a bit without increasing the ash. We also are using only kiln dried material as feedstock, which ensures the moisture is low and there is no bark or other contaminants that can cause clinkers or increase ash. We appreciate the kind words about our pellets and want to respond to any concerns folks on the forum have. Please feel free to PM me at [email protected] with any questions of concerns.

Thanks,
Rich Whiting

Status
Not open for further replies.