Limb Wood Vs Split Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I cut down to 2 to 3 inches. The rest remain in the woods to "season" for the firepit. Whenever I want to build a fire on the patio I cut the remaining small stuff and load the tractor bucket. Not that I wouldn't keep and cut the smaller stuff more often, but larger trees=more wood faster. Busting rounds once on the 4-way makes for productivity. If I spent all day cutting limbs, I'd have a backache and little wood to show. Having some equipment helps as I get older.

Reactions: Dan Freeman
Why I picked up some limbs from my honey locust and made sure it was dry and used it to help start my wood stove fire--it was wonderful... I still have another one and when I light my fire maybe I will take a picture of it...lol clancey

Usually I'm saving 6" and bigger for the stove and anything smaller may or may not get split but it's probably going in the fire pit. I've wondered too about smaller limb burn times vs a denser trunk section.

I've always been shameless- and omnivorous- when it comes to saving stuff.
Amazing how fast I go through tinder in a season. I use all sorts of stuff for
that, especially splitter trash. Oak 'splinters' are great. But so are little twigs.
Yes, I do emphasize the bigger rounds and splits of course.

I have a small, old table saw that I use for rapid sawing outside with smaller
branches, down to 1" or so. I use old cardboard cat litter boxes to stack this
kindling. Towards the end of winter I'm always thanking myself for having
bothered. Plenty of big hardwood splits left, but much of the kindling has
been used up by then.

I've always been shameless- and omnivorous- when it comes to saving stuff.
Amazing how fast I go through tinder in a season. I use all sorts of stuff for
that, especially splitter trash. Oak 'splinters' are great. But so are little twigs.
Yes, I do emphasize the bigger rounds and splits of course.

I have a small, old table saw that I use for rapid sawing outside with smaller
branches, down to 1" or so. I use old cardboard cat litter boxes to stack this
kindling. Towards the end of winter I'm always thanking myself for having
bothered. Plenty of big hardwood splits left, but much of the kindling has
been used up by then.
I built a box that I can load with limbs and slice right through it my chainsaw at just the right length. I like to have small stuff to start fires and fill in the spaces on a big overnight load.

10"? You're leaving a lot of prime stuff behind.

There is not a lot of small stuff in the log cut off piles I work up. I just finished this one. Before and after pics

DSCF0005.JPG DSCF0001.JPG 20211210_115254.jpg 20211210_115321.jpg

I like having limbwood mixed in with the bigger stuff. It is always best to have a mix when firing the woodburner.
It might be more work to cut and haul, but it dosn't have to be split, so as far as processing work is concerned I think it is worth it. I take limbs down to 2", sometimes even smaller if it is good stuff.

Reactions: StudlyHogly
Hey everyone! For the limbs, do you split them further or season them as-it? how does the seasoning time compare to actual splits?

I have access to a lot of thin trunks (2~3in) that I can scavenge, as well as a healthy supply of limbs. They are recovered from backyard (~3 acres) dead standing or nearby trimmings near power line.

Most of those will be hard wood (oak, ash), got some birch mixed in.. Looking to get them ready for the shoulder season October this year.

I would put them in my 3 year rotation without splitting. If I want oak limbs done by next season I split them in half.

But you get a lot of small"splits" so make sure you can control the fire (from runaway). My stove is not so sensitive to that, so I don't mind. Depends on your situation.

Hey everyone! For the limbs, do you split them further or season them as-it? how does the seasoning time compare to actual splits?

I have access to a lot of thin trunks (2~3in) that I can scavenge, as well as a healthy supply of limbs. They are recovered from backyard (~3 acres) dead standing or nearby trimmings near power line.

Most of those will be hard wood (oak, ash), got some birch mixed in.. Looking to get them ready for the shoulder season October this year.
you've got to split birch or rip a cut through the bark otherwise it will rot - fast!

Any limb wood the size of my forearms, yes, saved for stove burning.

A few years ago my son & daughter in-law got me a kindling splitter. One of the best Christmas gifts ever. Because of that I'll split limb wood since it's easy, just one hit and it's in half. Occasionally I'll cut an end of a limb so it's straight, for both resting on the blade and hitting the top.

Kindling splitter.jpg

Reactions: ispinwool
Use the limb wood. I leave limb wood unsplit many times because they make great all nighters, especially those 5-6” chunks. They burn much better overnight than split pieces. Smaller limb wood like 2-3” is good to fill the gaps when you’re stuffing the stove to the gills.

Reactions: StudlyHogly
Limb wood does a terrible shape shifting trick - I try to avoid it at all costs!!

When processing limb wood, I cut and cut and cut...and cut some more... seemingly about a thousand pieces, all chest high or higher, so my arms/hands are practically blue and numb from holding them ...and the saw... above my head for hours on end. After all this, I turn around to see my wife has one row of neatly stacked limbs about 4 foot long x 2 foot high. "What the heck did you do with all the rest of the wood I cut?!?" I ask. "That is all of it!" she says.

Now I go to unload it... two, three, four, five wheelbarrow loads... and still more to go!! Where the heck is it all coming from?!??

When it comes time to start shoveling it in the stove.... well, we won't even talk about the evil trick it does there!

But in seriousness, though...just like everything, it has its place. Need a small hot fire? Some quick coals for grilling steak, burgers or what ever? Need something for the 4th layer of a 'top down' fire? Small limbs are a good 'go to'. It also depends a bit on the wood...oak, hickory, hedge, etc - those small limbs are worth their weight. If messing with pine, fir, cottonwood, etc, probably not much worth the hassle...unless those constitute 'premium' wood where you are, then I guess it is all btu's in the end!

If it fits in the stove without splitting that's great. Smaller pieces are for shoulder season and starting fires or the fire pit.
My uncle once told me "my stove knows no pedigree". I try not to leave any hardwood to go to waste if it can help heat my house.