Limestone or Reclaimed firebrick or flagstone under a wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Very nice!

That looks great. I think you are going to love this setup. The house looks interesting too. Is it all log?

The house looks interesting too. Is it all log?

Just the 1st floor, built in 1980. He did 3 things that weren't particularly correct:

1. Used fresh (green) hardwood
2. Didn't split the logs
3. Didn't take off the bark

...but it's held up reasonably well and, although far from perfect, has a nice, rustic feel:

20210911_151803.jpg

I've seen mention of using limestone underneath a wood stove despite the fact that limestone allegedly cracks from the heat.

My question is whether that cracking is a problem. If I'm using irregular rock shapes anyway, it won't disrupt the aesthetic much.

Any thoughts?

(I'm getting a Pacific Energy Super LE. My understanding is that is needs only a non-combustible pad underneath, not a specific r-value.)

I know this is an old thread and you ended up going w/ some kind of flagstone, but I'm interested in this first question you asked.

If I use limestone for a raised hearth pad, am I in danger of it cracking due to heat? We have a Lopi Liberty, BTW, and the manual simply says this about floor protection.

1683382715892.png

I know this is an old thread and you ended up going w/ some kind of flagstone, but I'm interested in this first question you asked.

If I use limestone for a raised hearth pad, am I in danger of it cracking due to heat? We have a Lopi Liberty, BTW, and the manual simply says this about floor protection.

View attachment 312522
Why are you worried about this? There isn't going to be much of any heat on the hearth at all. And yes limestone can certainly thermal crack as can any stone . But that's not an issue until you get several hundred degrees hotter than your hearth will see

Why are you worried about this? There isn't going to be much of any heat on the hearth at all. And yes limestone can certainly thermal crack as can any stone . But that's not an issue until you get several hundred degrees hotter than your hearth will see

I'm worried about it b/c I wouldn't want it cracking! 😀

So, is the idea that due to the Liberty being a more modern stove, and that it's raised up on legs, there wouldn't be too much downward transfer of heat?

I'm worried about it b/c I wouldn't want it cracking! 😀

So, is the idea that due to the Liberty being a more modern stove, and that it's raised up on legs, there wouldn't be too much downward transfer of heat?
If there was much heat directed down you would have an r value requirement.

Reactions: gtilflm