Limit switch ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oneofakindcritter

May 1, 2014
Fremont , Wi
Are all limit switches created equal ? How do I know what limit switch Can be used on a free standing wood burning fireplace. the old one was a flat button or snap switch on 150 -110 off ,mounted inside the blower hood of a Aunt Sarah. While I understand it has to be a flat one or same style I don't know,, Will any of them work or do they need special heat resistant factors, Can I use one from a pellet stove ?

Critter, not all limit switches are created equal. From your performance description it does not sound like you have a limit switch at all. Limit switches are used to change state when a position changes, like a full open damper limit switch might do. It sounds like you want a bi-metal thermostat. Again you will need to look for that based on the temperature set point that you are seeking. All thermostats have a band associated with them so you want one that will go on at 150ºF and has a dead band or sometimes called a reset value of 40ºF.

Reactions: oneofakindcritter
IMAG0172.jpg IMAG0173.jpg IMAG0172.jpg IMAG0173.jpg
Critter, not all limit switches are created equal. From your performance description it does not sound like you have a limit switch at all. Limit switches are used to change state when a position changes, like a full open damper limit switch might do. It sounds like you want a bi-metal thermostat. Again you will need to look for that based on the temperature set point that you are seeking. All thermostats have a band associated with them so you want one that will go on at 150ºF and has a dead band or sometimes called a reset value of 40ºF.
OK thanks for info I did finally get picts to load off my phone sorry it did duplicates
Are all limit switches created equal ? How do I know what limit switch Can be used on a free standing wood burning fireplace. the old one was a flat button or snap switch on 150 -110 off ,mounted inside the blower hood of a Aunt Sarah. While I understand it has to be a flat one or same style I don't know,, Will any of them work or do they need special heat resistant factors, Can I use one from a pellet stove ?

I guess that's why this is so confusing for me there is a large coil described as a bi-metal thermostat in the diagrams in manual of..The aunt Sarah on the side which controls the damper, ( The manual is very vag but describes it only as : item 4 qty 1 bi-metal part B14BA ) yet there is another one inside which of coarse is the one I'm searching for, what it does is turn on and off the blower fan. I did get pictures of it to load ..On my org thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.