Linden and mulberry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky Phil

Hearth Supporter
Mar 10, 2010
Central IL.
I have a chance to get some wild mulberry and another friend has two linden trees that need cutting down. According to the chart posted earlier this month, linden isn't as good as mulberry, btu-wise. How do each of them split? I don't have a splitter, so it'd all be by hand.

I re-looked at the chart, and see that I had them mixed up; mulberry being better than linden, which appears to be basswood.

I like mulberry splits easy, never seen linden.

I'll second the mulberry. Splits very easily and is great wood to burn.

Linden is the same tree as Basswood.

Yea Mulberry is about twice has high on the BTU chart then Linden! Easy to split too. Good stuff..

Not trying to start any thing but I was never that impressed with Mulberry, I know it is rated very high on BTU list but it just does not seem to work for me as well as Ash and I believe it is rated higher than the Ash. It doesn't coal that well either, a good wood for sure but it seems like it shoud be better, I end up burning it in the fall and spring.

oldspark said:
Not trying to start any thing but I was never that impressed with Mulberry, I know it is rated very high on BTU list but it just does not seem to work for me as well as Ash and I believe it is rated higher than the Ash. It doesn't coal that well either, a good wood for sure but it seems like it shoud be better, I end up burning it in the fall and spring.

you may not have it seasoned long enough I would burn just mulberry if I could. What I use is normally 18 months

smokinjay said:
oldspark said:

you may not have it seasoned long enough I would burn just mulberry if I could. What I use is normally 18 months
I have some 2 years old or some dryer than a popcorn fart since it was dead for a while, does not make a differance it still does not impress me, like I said it is good wood but give me oak and ash and I am a happy camper. The best comparision to another wood would be elm which I also think is a good wood but just not as good as ash, could be just me.

I really like Mulberry and never pass it up....

I stopped and checked out the mulberry yesterday. He's clearing all the trees off his fence row, as they are making it hard to plow/plant. A lot of mulberry and quite a bit of hackberry, so I'm going to help him cut it up. Too bad some of it is already piled up for burning. I'll try to remember my camera.

Of course, I forgot to take my camera when I went to cut up the wood. I did take a couple pix of the wood when I got home. The hackberry is no problem to identify. We couldn't figure out what the wood was that he was dragging in with the tractor. It was dark on the ends that were cut, but when I cut a piece off, it was light colored. The pic of the trailer is what I got in an hour's worth of cutting/loading, then the truck wouldn't move an inch; the ground was slimy, and my Ranger only has two wheel (one wheel, actually) drive, and he had to use the tractor to pull my truck and trailer to dryer ground.

Attachments

• DSC00090.jpg
    DSC00090.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 421
  • DSC00092.jpg
    DSC00092.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 425
I've been very happy with mulberry, had about a cord of it last year. 1 thing you should be aware of is that mulberry sparks a lot. I wouldn't want to burn it in an open fireplace, hope you have a woodstove to contain the fireworks show.

Seems that the linden is out of the picture anyway....his wife decided that she wants to keep them....

The farmer friend has a dead boxelder tree next to a building that is to be torn down. I don't suppose that that's anygood for burning?

These two pix are of another tree that I cut a piece of.

Attachments

• DSC00096.jpg
    DSC00096.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 393
  • DSC00097.jpg
    DSC00097.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 399
Basswood/linden splits very easy. It is good for the shoulder season and kindling. Boxelder is in the maple family, but isn't great firewood. Similar to the soft maples.

Lucky Phil said:
Seems that the linden is out of the picture anyway....his wife decided that she wants to keep them....

The farmer friend has a dead boxelder tree next to a building that is to be torn down. I don't suppose that that's anygood for burning?

These two pix are of another tree that I cut a piece of.

Not a great wood but I burned a ton of Boxelder the last couple of years mixed in with better wood or by itself in the fall and spring.

We have an open FP (one day we'll have a woodstove, he says to himself). I love mullberry, but BTUs are not critical here, whether one is burning in a stove or FP, it just don't get that cold. Nevertheless, mullberry splits like a dream and burns fairly hot when dry (less than one year here in dry so. calif.) and sparks and pops like the 4th of July. We have a very good FP screen, and we like the sound of a cracklin' fire.

I'd jump at the chance for more mullberry.

Peace,
- Sequoia

i have come across some mulberrry that can be very hard to split. The ones around here kinda grow with a twist to em.

That'll give me a chance to use the new TSC log splitter that I bought. I had to cut up a dead elm yesterday that fell onto my fence, but it's almost to the point of being too punky. I think another year would be too long. I'll see how it splits.

Status
Not open for further replies.