Liner condition

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJ273

Minister of Fire
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
With the burning season coming up, I was taking a look at my liner/appliance adapter conditioner yesterday. I noticed that I had some purple areas, and that the liner now had a purple tint to it all the way up to where the insulation starts.
I’ve posted about this before, but I have some better pics now. I’m super cautious and just wanna see if this is normal or something of concern. I’m burning a Regency i2400 and normally keep it in the average burn range. I don’t push it hard. The front of the liner connection had a small gap, so I filled it w furnace cement. It’s held for several years. I had a smaller stove that this appliance adapter was used on before, which is why u see some remnants of old furnace cement around it

C3BA78B4-DAB0-4285-AA17-4B32AA5D1577.jpeg 09A4077C-5CCC-45E7-A771-796CA981086B.jpeg B49BCD24-5626-47AD-89B8-2FF4B52DEB20.jpeg

I’ll let the pros give you their thoughts on the liner.
I do know that liner discoloration in general is normal. After being brand new, the clean silver color changes to a straw/copper color. With some increased heat comes a purple color. Higher heat comes a blue color. A dark blue with higher heat. I’m probably missing some steps but you get this idea. I’ve been pretty gentle on my 5 year old heavy wall liner and it has a light purple hue in the area you’re describing below the insulation wrap. Yours may be a bit darker color than mine but that could also be a matter of how it appears to me with a flashlight versus a picture. My guess is that your liner is probably ok but I’d continue to be mindful of temps. Any consistent overfiring or difficulty with controlling temps? How old is the liner?
If/when the furnace cement fails on your appliance adaptor, using a very thin stove gasket would work. Apply by gently sticking the gasket into the gap with a flathead screwdriver. I say gently just so you’re not causing any damage to liner. It doesn’t have to be completely airtight.

Last edited:
I’ll let the pros give you their thoughts on the liner.
I do know that liner discoloration in general is normal. After being brand new, the clean silver color changes to a straw/copper color. With some increased heat comes a purple color. Higher heat comes a blue color. A dark blue with higher heat. I’m probably missing some steps in that profession but you get this idea. I’ve been pretty gentle on my 5 year old heavy wall liner and it’s has a light purple hue in the area you’re describing below the insulation wrap.
If/when the furnace cement fails on your appliance adaptor, using a very thin stove gasket would work. Apply by gently sticking the gasket into the gap with a flathead screwdriver. I say gently just so you’re not causing any damage to liner.
Yea. I’ve heard the gasket idea. That’s my plan. But for now the cement is still working so I’m not gonna mess w it just yet

Yea. I’ve heard the gasket idea. That’s my plan. But for now the cement is still working so I’m not gonna mess w it just yet
Good plan. How big is the gap anyhow?

The correct fix would be an angled appliance adapter. How old is the liner and how many cords of wood has it seen?

I’m guessing to Chang your the appliance adapter you need to pull the liner up about a foot. And if doing that I might reassess it’s condition and my need for it to be insulated. It’s not right as there should not ever be a gap.

The correct fix would be an angled appliance adapter. How old is the liner and how many cords of wood has it seen?

I’m guessing to Chang your the appliance adapter you need to pull the liner up about a foot. And if doing that I might reassess it’s condition and my need for it to be insulated. It’s not right as there should not ever be a gap.
There was never an air gap, no light passed through. It was more where the front part got dented in slightly right at the top during installation and my OCD made me put some cement there just to be extra safe. It’s snug at the bottom. The liner is 9 years old, roughly 2-3 cords a year. And it’s insulated, the insulation starts about a foot up, just out of the picture frame. And I agree that an angled adapter would be a much smoother fit, but not sure it’s worth tearing everything apart at this point to do that. The liner was inspected last year and said to be ok, I was just more wondering if the coloring was normal compared to others on the forum

Sounds like you have done your due diligence. I’d probably leave it alone. Liners have a finite life. Light weight shorter than heavy weight. You know how to fix it right if it ever needs taken apart. Keep checking it /having it checked on some regular interval by a professional. Once my system hits 10 years I’ll probably pay to have it inspected. And see what the recommendations are for reinspection.