Liner corrosion risk?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtcedinburgh

Sep 19, 2006
Fife Riviera, Scotland
This is sort of a lead on a post I made yesterday about using solid fuel in my stove. However, the topic title probably meant that most people would skip it.

Anyway, why I'm posting this is that I am thinking of trying smokeless solid fuel, and I am concerned that whilst it is smokeless, it is not fumeless and I have heard that those fumes are somewhat corrosive. Having spent good money on my liner a couple of years back, I'm wary of jeopardising its long-term 'health', but at the same time I have a friend who heats with wood during the day and loads up with smokeless solid fuel briquettes overnight and has done every winter for around six years without any obvious problems.

Has anyone got any more information about the risk to flexible chimney liners from non wood fuels? Or perhaps any tips or general recommendations?

Thanks,

John

Just check with the manufacturer of the liner... Our liners are tested for pellet, wood, coal but not for corn as it is very corrosive... some liners if not made of the right material may only be good for wood but not coal...

Status
Not open for further replies.