Liner in 10.5x10.5 ID flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lastfling

Dec 14, 2021
NC
I currently have an Appalachian 36bw insert with catalyst purchased new in 87. The insert was installed as a slammer and I’m going to upgrade with a liner. The stove has a rectangular outlet flush on top and I believe in looking at the Appalachian website requires a 8” connection. My existing flue is 10.5 x 10.5 ID and is an interior masonry / tile lined chimney approx 13.5 ‘ . Will an insulated 8” liner fit in this flue?

As info - the stove has worked well over the years and maintains enough coals overnight ,using 3 sticks usually , to make restarts in morning easy.

I don’t plan on replacing at this time - although I’m looking at installing another insert downstairs in the future that will have its on set of issues as that flue is 6.5 x 10 ID and enters the right side existing fire place. There are actually 2 flues entering this fireplace - one on either side.

Are there any bends or offsets? You might have a chance if it’s a straight shot and no mortar hanging out of any joint. Personally if I was doing an insulated liner I would upgrade the stove. I just did a diy install of a Drolet 1800i with 25’ of insulated liner for 2000$ Including tax for everything. An 8 in insert even with a a cat just doesn’t rev my jets. There are not that many new 8” inserts. Buck 9? Is the only one I know off the top of my head.

A thought that comes to mind would be to clean the existing chimney and smoke chamber area really well before installing new equipment, especially with a slammer install.

Have you been able to source the rectangle to round adapter? That is another thing to consider as the rectangle to round cast iron generic boots are a PIA to install, you will have to drill and tap the top of your insert.

I would just use this as an excuse to upgrade to something newer that will use a 6" liner, plus at 13' you are on the short side for most inserts, you might have to install an extender to get you to 15'.

Are there any bends or offsets? You might have a chance if it’s a straight shot and no mortar hanging out of any joint. Personally if I was doing an insulated liner I would upgrade the stove. I just did a diy install of a Drolet 1800i with 25’ of insulated liner for 2000$ Including tax for everything. An 8 in insert even with a a cat just doesn’t rev my jets. There are not that many new 8” inserts. Buck 9? Is the only one I know off the top of my head.
its a straight shot down to the firebox, the only possibility of an offset / bend would be the connection to the stove itself.

A thought that comes to mind would be to clean the existing chimney and smoke chamber area really well before installing new equipment, especially with a slammer install.
Definitely. The chimney was just cleaned a month ago, but would be cleaned again before any installation

Have you been able to source the rectangle to round adapter? That is another thing to consider as the rectangle to round cast iron generic boots are a PIA to install, you will have to drill and tap the top of your insert.

I would just use this as an excuse to upgrade to something newer that will use a 6" liner, plus at 13' you are on the short side for most inserts, you might have to install an extender to get you to 15'.
Yes, adapters have been sourced - both cast iron and stainless. The stove has been drafting fairly well in its current configuration. I would think a liner would only improve on what is already there even with current height .

An upgrade may be in works at some point in future but for now it is what it is. I would upgrade and install new in the downstairs before I replace the upstairs.

At least with only13 foot of 8 inch liner you won't be out all that much when you upgrade! May as well install a block off plate while your at it. Good luck.