Liner install help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2015
Southwest Virginia
I'm trying to install my liner. ChimneyLinerDepot.com HD liner. Anyway, I was wondering about how to support this. It looks like I basically use the cap at the top to secure it. Is this right? It seems like quite a bit of weight for just the top to support.

I'm trying to install my liner. ChimneyLinerDepot.com HD liner. Anyway, I was wondering about how to support this. It looks like I basically use the cap at the top to secure it. Is this right? It seems like quite a bit of weight for just the top to support.
I have never used their liners but yes typically there is a top clamp of some sort that supports the liner. Make sure you use screws or rivets to back up the clamp though especially with a heavy wall liner

Yes, there is a band that goes around the liner and tightens up. But I think that putting in some screws as well would make me feel much better.
Most manufacturers of heavy wall require it

I just installed it (temporarily until I get my stove and make sure everything fits). I was wondering if people have any problem with the insulation at the top getting wet. There is about a quarter inch space between the top plate collar and the liner. I was thinking maybe I'd pour some silicone caulk into that to prevent any water from getting down there. It would only happen in a strong storm due to the rain cap covering everything. Would I need any special high temp silicone up there (22 feet up) or is it high enough to not be that hot.

There is about a quarter inch space between the top plate collar and the liner.
Didn't you get a storm collar? Just putting silicone in there wont work. You need to get the right parts

Can anybody help me with this?
That setup does not require a storm collar. But you are right it does leave a decent sized gap which is why i dont use that type of setup

I will be using a similar setup soon, from youtube videos I have seen I believe most people use high temp silicone in that gap. thats what I had planned on doing anyway

a storm coller seems like a decent addition if the gap is very large.

from youtube videos I have seen I believe most people use high temp silicone in that gap.
It does not hold up very well from my experience. The problem with a storm collar is that the cap clamps to that collar if you use a storm collar you cant do that.

Would Mill-Pac work?
No it doesn't hold up exposed to the weather. High temp silicone is the best option. But it needs replaced every few years. I just dont likt that type of top setup for wood at all.

I'll try to get a picture...however we are forecast for quite a few days of rain.
Would a storm collar fit inside that rain cap cage? I guess that would eliminate any need for sealant up there then.

Would a storm collar fit inside that rain cap cage? I guess that would eliminate any need for sealant up there then.
No idea. you would have to try it

Status
Not open for further replies.