Liner installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lastfling

Dec 14, 2021
NC
I had a sweep out recently to look at installing a liner for an existing stove. I was told he wouldn’t do it as clearance between top of stove and fireplace sill wouldn’t allow room to attach adapter. There is approx 5” space. The stove has a rectantangular openin g so would need a rectangular to round adapter. Does this seem an insurmountable problem preventing an installation?

I see Rockford has an adapter which is two piece for a total of 5 1/2”. Lower would attach to stove (using self tapping screws I think) with 2nd piece having either 10 or 30 degree angle bolting to first with nuts. An appliance adapter would then go on to attach liner. Reaching into firebox between stove and sill may be too tight to work in - is this right?

His alternative was a new stove (Regency 2450) and liner for 6700 which a little more than I was wanting to put into it at this time. Liner quoted was a flexible with insulation between stainless walls. Flue is approx 13’ straight shot from top to bottom. This seems high, but with prices of everything else these days maybe not.

A rectangle to round adapter does take up room. If there is only 5" clearance it could be a bear to properly install. The stove he is recommending is a good one. It most likely would burn half the amount of wood which represents a long-term saving. If the old stove has metal doors, then you would also be gaining a great fire view with the Regency.

With 5" it is probably possible with a custom boot but a pain and probably not worth it