Liner recordation for 8x13 flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pbeef

Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I have a well built old brick chimney, straight run from basement to the roof. Nothing is currently using it as we upgraded to direct vent furnace when we bought this 1890's built house 4 years ago.

We would like to drop a free standing wood stove in our bonus room in the basement. The chimney is currently lined with what I guess to be 8"x13" terracotta blocks. The inside dimeter is 6.75" x 11.75", or so it appears. I have installed 3 stand alone new chimneys in the past few years for friends/family, but never lined an old brick one.

What liner can I fit down this chimney? It looks very straight from top to bottom and I would guess it hasn't had wood burned through it since the 50's. I assumed I would need a 6" insulated liner, but that wont fit, right?

Does non-insulated pass code/inspection? Suggestions?

~John

I have a well built old brick chimney, straight run from basement to the roof. Nothing is currently using it as we upgraded to direct vent furnace when we bought this 1890's built house 4 years ago.

We would like to drop a free standing wood stove in our bonus room in the basement. The chimney is currently lined with what I guess to be 8"x13" terracotta blocks. The inside dimeter is 6.75" x 11.75", or so it appears. I have installed 3 stand alone new chimneys in the past few years for friends/family, but never lined an old brick one.

What liner can I fit down this chimney? It looks very straight from top to bottom and I would guess it hasn't had wood burned through it since the 50's. I assumed I would need a 6" insulated liner, but that wont fit, right?

Does non-insulated pass code/inspection? Suggestions?

~John
An oval insulated liner equivalent to a 6" round will work fine. Uninsulated would most likely pass inspection but also would most likely not meet code because your chimney probably doesn't have the required clearances to combustibles.

An oval insulated liner equivalent to a 6" round will work fine. Uninsulated would most likely pass inspection but also would most likely not meet code because your chimney probably doesn't have the required clearances to combustibles.

Where does one buy 6" oval equivalent? Is the duraLiner from NorthlineExpress what you are recommending?

A good sweep would have an ovalizer, but Duraliner oval will do the job well.

Where does one buy 6" oval equivalent? Is the duraLiner from NorthlineExpress what you are recommending?
Duraliner will work but you can also buy ovalized liners from most good chimney suppliers

I am having a hard time finding ovalized, insulated liners. A link?
You will have to wrap most of them in insulation yourself

Bholler, I've been meaning to ask you for a long time. Do you trim the attachable snout to match the curve of the ovalized liner? I've only worked with round.

Bholler, I've been meaning to ask you for a long time. Do you trim the attachable snout to match the curve of the ovalized liner? I've only worked with round.
No I round out the bottom of the liner again so the round tee body fits. Factory ovalized liners can be ordered with matching tees though.

Thanks, I've been meaning to ask that for a couple of years now. Keep forgetting.

Reactions: bholler
The widest part of the round 0/0 insulated rigid duraliner is 6 and 5/8", or about 6.625.

It was a TIGHT fit in my chimney (push and twist down at times) also a straight up from the basement old brick chimney, I use the extend a cap kit and the whole thing hangs from that, so as long as the top of your chinney is in good enough shape you're good to go. It would have been great to have another set of hands on the roof with me but I got it done alone just by going slow and being careful.

I really liked the install and it's a thousand times better than the stove pipe the previous owners had running up the chimney...

It's not cheap now, I bought it a year and a half ago off ebay (only place that had it in stock) but to me was well worth it