Liner Sagging. Would this be the correct fix?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I shoved and forced the liner down the chimney today. 26 feet of liner is heavier than I thought it was! I'm so happy I rented a lift to do it.

We lined the it up at the bottom, then I secured the liner at the top. By the time I made my way back down to the thimble area the liner had dropped 2 or 3 inches. I'm guessing it was caught up on something and then worked it's way free by it's weight and gravity.

So, since I can't raise the liner, is the next best thing to slowly trim my way up with snips? Maybe I can cut a vertical line up the insulation and liner... Hopefully that will allow it to spread apart and allow me to raise the T?

As the years go by, will the liner continue to settle? I imagine that any S shaped bends will slowly work their way down when heat cycling...

What says the collective wisdom of the board?

Matt

What you SHOULD have done was NOT secure it at the top UNTIL you had seated it in the insert.
You have no choice but to wrassle with it to get it into position...

It's not going into an insert. It's an external chimney that had 8x12 terra cotta lining. At the bottom of the chimney is a spot for a thimble or T. Does that change anything?

Matt

Craig,

I could use a small 2x to pick it up and then support the bottom, but that may not solve any issues of any S curves that make their way down in the future.

Matt

I'll pick it up as you suggested. If I have any issues I suppose I could try to shorten it later.

Matt

<>It's not going into an insert. It's an external chimney that had 8x12 terra cotta lining. At the bottom of the chimney is a spot for a thimble or T. Does that change anything?<>

You should be fine trimming the liner...
Long as you don't cut it TOO short...
SS Liner stretchers are hard to come by!

Status
Not open for further replies.