Liners with double roll lock seams vs. butt welds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmcfall

Feeling the Heat
Nov 28, 2005
Any opinions on liners built with roll lock seams vs. seams with butt welds? One argument for the roll lock is that it leaves room for expansion. So what happens with the liner with butt welds during changing temps?

Where have you seen liners with butt welds?

Ah, OK I am with you now. I will leave it to the metal guys here but it seems to me the welded seams have gotta be better. I know I am not too crazy about the "roll lock" on the two sections of black pipe on one of my stoves. I wish I had welded pipe for it. It just can't be as strong or airtight as welded it seems to me.

Heat-Fab is sort of the ultimate. I visited their factory (have to go back and get pics), but they have single welders that cost a million bucks! Electron beam and laser stuff - of course, they don't make flex.

My uninformed opinion on flex is that certain brands and processes have a longer history and therefore more moxie in my book. Ventinox being one of them - a patent and process used in Europe for a long time and then brought over here - the first of the flex liners - and .007, which is 40% thicker than .005.

Homesaver has been doing it also for a long time and had their problems early - and then fixed many of them! They are probably the biggest supplier of this stuff in the USA, and therefore they HAVE to get it right since tens of millions are at stake.

Someone asked earlier about liners in the field - chimney sweeps have reported replacing thin flex liners in oil and coal installations after 6-10 years.

When it comes to very heavy wall flex, I suspect they may not be much better because all that really matters is how thick the weakest link is - in other words, the middle of the seam or corrugations. Perhaps metal can enlighten us on my theory.....he's a metal engineer.

What about for the rigid liners? Is the welded seam better than the roll lock?

rmcfall said:
What about for the rigid liners? Is the welded seam better than the roll lock?

Yes, I would say that a properly welded seam beats the roll lock.

That Rhino pipe looks good - I suspect it is not made by Olympia since I don't think they have that kind of machinery or plant. It might een be European made!

Status
Not open for further replies.