Lining 8"x13" flue for new stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
Hey guys,
I have a 25- 30 ft chimney with an inside diameter of 8x13". There is no clean out door. So far this chimney is in safe operating condition. I am learning that drafting will be more important as I am buying the hybrid Ideal Steel. Any thoughts on what I should get to make this new stove work correctly? I need to measure but where the stove hooks to the flue should be 25 feet.

The same size as the stove - ideally!

I think that stove is only a 6" flue....so a 6" is fine.

If you really want the ultimate, use rigid instead of flex for most of it and insulate it or get something pre-insulated such as the Duraliner.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
webbie is right , a reline should be done with the same size liner as the flue collar if possible, if the flue is an interior one (surrounded on all sides by the house) an insulated liner shouldnt really be necessary , but an exterior particularly in a cold climate an insulated liner would offer better performance with a modern stove.

I fell that every liner should be insulated regardless of the location of the chimney and if your flue is 8" wide you should have no problem getting an insulated liner in there. Just spend the little bit of extra money it will work better and be safer. I would not do rigid my self I just don't think the slight benefits out weigh the big pain in the ass to install.

I fell that every liner should be insulated regardless of the location of the chimney and if your flue is 8" wide you should have no problem getting an insulated liner in there. Just spend the little bit of extra money it will work better and be safer. I would not do rigid my self I just don't think the slight benefits out weigh the big pain in the ass to install.

FWIW , no harm in doing an insulated liner on an interior chimney, was just saying that it shouldnt need it. no doubt it would fit , but with the house structure "insulating" the flue to me its not a necessity. some folks insist on it , some do not.

The reason I say that I feel all liners should be insulated is due to the fact that there is very rarely proper clearance to combustibles on the outside of the masonry. Due to that fact for wood stoves I say insulate them all unless you can absolutely confirm proper clearance.

Reactions: Owen1508
The reason I say that I feel all liners should be insulated is due to the fact that there is very rarely proper clearance to combustibles on the outside of the masonry. Due to that fact for wood stoves I say insulate them all unless you can absolutely confirm proper clearance.

point taken, i guess after the thread BG had running about a badly botched chimney installation it would be prudent for that reason

It would probably be fine without but it really doesn't cost much more for the extra insurance. And it will increase performance even on an interior chimney not as much but it will still help.

Status
Not open for further replies.