Lit pellets flying out of fire pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kbarregarye

Nov 27, 2021
Pennsylvania
Hey I’m new to pellet stoves, recently moved into a house with a heatilator PS35. My problem is the blower seems to be pulling too much air thru the fire pot. Lit pellets are flying out the entire time. All the ash ends up surrounding the fire pot. 2nd year using this stove, and have never had ash in the ash bin below. This doesn’t seem normal. Any suggestions? The stove pipe goes straight up thru the roof and doesn’t have a damper. Would I need one? Only adjustments on this stove is feed rate, and I’ve changed that every which way, with no success.

Can you share a video or picture of what's happening?

Reactions: Washed-Up
This is a quick video of when the thermostat has kicked the stove off. Every bit of ash will float out of the fire pot and fill up the surrounding area. I have to clean this stove out every other day.

Attachments

• IMG_1545.MOV
    10 MB
Reactions: Kbarregarye
It’s double wall. Im not saying it can’t be done :rolleyes:

But I will say I didn’t pay that $$$ for mine either. ;)