loading wood into the ute (pick up). To split or not to split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hills Hoard

Minister of Fire
Mar 19, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I'm off up into the mountains this Saturday to do some wood prospecting. I've just been having a beer by the 4x4 wondering if i'd fit more wood in if i split on site and loaded, cut to length and loaded or just cut long logs to fit the tray, piled them high and tied them down. maybe it was the beers, but i couldnt visualise which would be better. Anyone got advise?

PS. i will document the prospecting mission for your enjoyment. I'm hoping for a big haul! :cool:

Is weight or the length of the load a concern? I would say that if you cut it to length, split it and stacked it tightly you would get the most on your truck. If you can leave the logs long so they hang over the tailgate and stack them high that maybe the way to go, if its not too heavy.

Have a great weekend, we all are looking forward to the pics!

Reactions: raybonz
Is weight or the length of the load a concern?

weight is a concern. But I would be happy to leave the tail gate down and hang logs over. I actually hadn't thought of that. there is a lot of chassis hanging out past the rear axel on my 4x4 and have never liked the idea of loading too much up in the back. But because im driving an hour to get this wood i want to make it worth my while ::-)..

What do they say around here.......load the wagon, screw the mule. Oh, wait they say that in my county!

Reactions: Hills Hoard
The only time I split it first is if the rounds are too heavy for me to load. Some big oak rounds that came from a daughter's friend's parents have kicked my butt this spring.

Reactions: Hills Hoard
I at least split them in halves.

i appreciate the input guys but that wood prospecting mission was the biggest anticlimax ever....

i got a few logs to justify the cost in diesel but otherwise left empty handed,....when im feeling less embarrassed I will post a pick of what i got....haha

I'm off up into the mountains this Saturday to do some wood prospecting. I've just been having a beer by the 4x4 wondering if i'd fit more wood in if i split on site and loaded, cut to length and loaded or just cut long logs to fit the tray, piled them high and tied them down. maybe it was the beers, but i couldnt visualise which would be better. Anyone got advise?

PS. i will document the prospecting mission for your enjoyment. I'm hoping for a big haul! :cool:
I think it's all about TIME, if you have time to split it there, then do it if you have less, bring home logs, makes sense to me and I just had a beer or two.....

Status
Not open for further replies.