Locust, from my yard.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuneighty

Burning Hunk
Oct 11, 2012
SC PA
Came home to find the electric company dropped this one for me. My order for a MS362 has been placed and a deposit made. Should be here for the weekend. Going back to our locust stand that the guy wants completely taken down Saturday. (pics will follow)

Looks like this will have to wait until Sunday to get processed and added to the stacks. I have a feeling I am going to loose the rest of these trees as my landlord said he thinks this is the farmers right of way, the farme is taking ALL the trees down near his crops, I asked him for the wood but its already promised out ...(the stuff already down, but he said anything taken down near me I can have.) He is wanting to get rid of any shade and moisture wicking from his crops.

IMG_20130205_173753.jpg

This is the view from my sunporch door. All have been knocked down now ... tough to see it so close and not be permitted to take any. I am hoping to see the fella's working it and ask if I may help in trade for some of it?
IMG_20130125_123134.jpg

Reactions: zap and loon
Gotta love firewood being out your back door. The only thing that is easier is to have it delivered.:p

Reactions: Tuneighty
At least you get some.
May get more if you volunteer to help limb, buck & clean up .
Don't hurt to ask ;)

BL in the yard?? Sweet! Some guys have all the luck... ==c
I am hoping to see the fella's working it and ask if I may help in trade for some of it?
Good plan.

This is the time of year many farmers are cleaning out ditch rows and fence rows. Trees steal moisture so have to go when farming.

At least you get some.
May get more if you volunteer to help limb, buck & clean up .
Don't hurt to ask ;)

I hope I am home! They have been down about 2 weeks now. Farmer said he will let me know if anything changes?

This is the time of year many farmers are cleaning out ditch rows and fence rows. Trees steal moisture so have to go when farming.

Yes, I am seeing it in others farmers fields as well. And the neighbor explained that to me as well. I also see some fields with rock removal work too. I

I found out the farmer does have the right to cut more trees down the driveway which he said he will let me have. I hope he doesn't as they are our privacy from the other neighbors, but we shall see.

That looks like a pretty big farm for PA. We do not have that much level ground around here.

Some good BTUs there. You're going to love that MS362! ;)

I found out the farmer does have the right to cut more trees down the driveway which he said he will let me have. I hope he doesn't as they are our privacy from the other neighbors, but we shall see.

I would have a chat with him about this, as he would probably understand and might just leave a bunch alone for you?

Nice scoop with the Locust ;)

loon

I would have a chat with him about this, as he would probably understand and might just leave a bunch alone for you?

Nice scoop with the Locust ;)

loon

At this point I am letting it rest. If he pushes it further I will make the request/plea to keep a few (although they are more locust and would be lovely added to the stacks.)

Unless he dozers the locust up, (if the driveway trees are BL ) the root suckers will quickly form a nasty 6'-8' thicket.
Congrats on the score - gonna be up your way at the end of March for trout season. Love it up there.

Tuneighty, are you at the bottom of the mountain on the other side of Shade Gap? That sure looks like the fields out near the Willow Hill exit of the turnpike!!

Some good BTU's there, my friend. And you are gonna love that new saw. How's bout some pics of it in action if you get it for the weekend?

Tuneighty, are you at the bottom of the mountain on the other side of Shade Gap? That sure looks like the fields out near the Willow Hill exit of the turnpike!!

Some good BTU's there, my friend. And you are gonna love that new saw. How's bout some pics of it in action if you get it for the weekend?

Just outside Chambersburg about 3 miles. The view of the fields is looking at the Michaux Forrest and the turnpike isn't far at all. Its all the same "valley" and most of it does look this way.

Unless he dozers the locust up, (if the driveway trees are BL ) the root suckers will quickly form a nasty 6'-8' thicket.
Congrats on the score - gonna be up your way at the end of March for trout season. Love it up there.

I am about 500 yards from the headwaters of Falling Spring.

Dug into the locust today. Lots of it will be for campfire pile. Its pretty punky, there is a good bit of the base that is useable. Really dulled the chain quick though.

Got out to run the saw a bit though. No vid's, just this, Two 362's and a 250. I really like the weight of the 250, now to convince the wife it is needed.
IMG_20130209_101108.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.