Locust Log Bridge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Srbenda

Burning Hunk
Dec 27, 2009
PA Horse Country
I have a fallen locust tree that I intend to use for a small footbridge. Thoughts and opinions are welcome.
I plan to bolt 2x6 planks in either 36" or 48 length across the top of the log. Then use 2x4's to sister those together on each side. It won't be a incredibly sturdy bridge, but it will get me across. Any better thoughts?

i-N9WPmHr-XL.jpg

Hmmm..... pull that out. Use it for firewood. Go get yourself some used blast barrels and build a barrel bridge?

Or if your on a budget, drop another one of those logs beside it and put the boards on both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Hmmm..... pull that out. Use it for firewood. Go get yourself some used blast barrels and build a barrel bridge?

Or if your on a budget, drop another one of those logs beside it and put the boards on both.

I have PLENTY of firewood already.
The water is too shallow to float barrels, and plus I have the regulatory worries about doing anything that is "un-permitted".

Well then go for it. I've walked across a lot worse hunting, and trail walking.

I have a fallen locust tree that I intend to use for a small footbridge. Thoughts and opinions are welcome.
I plan to bolt 2x6 planks in either 36" or 48 length across the top of the log. Then use 2x4's to sister those together on each side. It won't be a incredibly sturdy bridge, but it will get me across. Any better thoughts?

View attachment 197000
If it were me I'd add some diagonal braces or outriggers to make sure it doesn't roll when you're walking across...