Locust Score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WoodBurnerInWI

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2020
Madison, WI
Finally got around to cleaning up the locust that was dropped in my neighbors yard. I would estimate 98% of two tree's is what I recovered. What I left was pretty huge, and I didn't feel like taking time to cut it all down with the chainsaw. But this is the best score I've ever had, and it was one street over from my house! I lost track of how many trips I made to get it all but it was so worth it!! Here are the photos, the last few are of the parts I left behind just to give you an idea of how big one of the trees was.

20210710_183249_HDR.jpg20210710_183312_HDR.jpg20210709_203316.jpg20210709_203323.jpg20210709_203342.jpg

Nice! Locust is great firewood.

Reactions: JimBear
Finally got around to cleaning up the locust that was dropped in my neighbors yard. I would estimate 98% of two tree's is what I recovered. What I left was pretty huge, and I didn't feel like taking time to cut it all down with the chainsaw. But this is the best score I've ever had, and it was one street over from my house! I lost track of how many trips I made to get it all but it was so worth it!! Here are the photos, the last few are of the parts I left behind just to give you an idea of how big one of the trees was.

View attachment 280196View attachment 280197View attachment 280193View attachment 280194View attachment 280195
A nice score , however just doesn't quite look like locust, unless they're different species indigenous to your area. Our locust here has yellow wood and a heavier bark, either way it looks like some form of hardwood.

A nice score , however just doesn't quite look like locust, unless they're different species indigenous to your area. Our locust here has yellow wood and a heavier bark, either way it looks like some form of hardwood.

Looks like honey locust to me?

Yes I am thinking honey as well. If you zoom into some of the photos, you can see leaves. I'm glad it wasn't the thorny variety, I have some of them growing on land my in laws own and they want me to help them log some of their acreage to build a home. Their land has mostly oak, maple, dying/dead ash and the locusts. That is a project I'm not willing to take on till it's much cooler out, and I will need my father in laws truck and trailer to move the wood here to Madison. But we'll buck it all first, it'll make it easier to load.

Yes I am thinking honey as well. If you zoom into some of the photos, you can see leaves. I'm glad it wasn't the thorny variety, I have some of them growing on land my in laws own and they want me to help them log some of their acreage to build a home. Their land has mostly oak, maple, dying/dead ash and the locusts. That is a project I'm not willing to take on till it's much cooler out, and I will need my father in laws truck and trailer to move the wood here to Madison. But we'll buck it all first, it'll make it easier to load.
Yes , also looks like a seed pod in the street definitely honey locust.

Why was that tree dropped because Honey Locust I think are just beautiful trees and that looks like a old one and that one seed pod looks like a Honey Locust---I have one in my front yard and I love it...Poor Tree...but glad you got the wood...clancey

It doesn't look like the locust around here, and I have cut up quite a bit of it. Does look like good hardwood.

Looks like honey locust to me.

Reactions: JimBear
100% honey locust

Reactions: Woody5506
Why was that tree dropped because Honey Locust I think are just beautiful trees and that looks like a old one and that one seed pod looks like a Honey Locust---I have one in my front yard and I love it...Poor Tree...but glad you got the wood...clancey

I really have no clue why this homeowner is getting rid of all his tree's. The pieces looked very healthy. No rot, ants, mold, etc. Perhaps he want's to re-landscape his yard with different trees? A loss for nice mature tree's in the neighborhood but at least the wood will not be wasted!

Reactions: clancey and JimBear
I really have no clue why this homeowner is getting rid of all his tree's. The pieces looked very healthy. No rot, ants, mold, etc. Perhaps he want's to re-landscape his yard with different trees? A loss for nice mature tree's in the neighborhood but at least the wood will not be wasted!
Beats me never cut one tree on my 10 acres unless it fell, but it happens.

Honey Locust all day long. That is a great score and you earned it, that is some very heavy wood there. Congrats!

Reactions: WoodBurnerInWI
Nice looking wood it will keep for some time.

Honey Locust, good stuff. We get a lot of it around here and I have a huge one in my yard that someday I'll probably get rid of. It's a nice tree but there's plenty of evidence of bug holes, always see wood peckers going at it, and it's a bit close to the house for my liking.

Beware of burning a stove full of it though. It can be a bit stubborn to get going but then really just take off on you. Keep an eye on the stove until you can throttle it down properly!!

Beware of burning a stove full of it though. It can be a bit stubborn to get going but then really just take off on you. Keep an eye on the stove until you can throttle it down properly!!

Good to know! Oddly enough, after this thread was going for a few days, the city came by and trimmed some limbs off a Honey Locust right in front of my house....my wife ran out there and was able to get them to leave the rounds. Only 1/25 of a cord, and I'll have to get them to the cabin, but hey, they dropped them on my doorstep for the right price! ==c

dAjblCU.jpg

I got a score of honey locust about 10 years ago. It took 4 years to dry that stuff and it was in a good wood shed with good circulation. The stuff dries slow but makes for excellent firewood.

Reactions: heavy hammer