Log burner maximum 400mm wide required - recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

logburner_david

Mar 22, 2017
london
Hi,

I am having a log burner installed in a narrow , 610mm opening.

The HETAS installer has recommended that I get a burner with a maximum width of 400mm, and maximum power of 5Kw.

I had a Cast Tek Norvik 5 installed in another property last year which I have been happy with but this is too wide for this installation.

Any suggestions of suitable stoves at a reasonable budget.

Thanks

Maybe the Morso 2B or the Jotul F602?

I see your London based, assuming the property is too then the stove also needs Defra approved status to burn wood.

Stovax Stockton 3 is designed for narrow fireplaces.

Thanks , the stovax stickton 3 appeals from a looks perspective.

I'm not installing it in an area that need Defra approved stoves, so please feel free to make other suggestions.

I am price sensitive but not looking to find the cheapest possible stove.

I paid £480 for the Norvik 5 last year and would happily pay around that price again.

Hmm personally i think once you go below about £600-£650 you are into 'too cheap' territory. There probably are some cheaper stoves that are ok, but most below that sort of figure are cheap chinese tat, they won't last and will become dangerous even. However, I've found stovefittersmanual a great resource and having a quick look he has a few cheap and narrow 5kw stoves. the wooly mammoth 5 https://www.stovefitterswarehouse.c...mammoth-5-5kw-free-100-flue-materials-voucher, and the hobbit https://www.stovefitterswarehouse.c...oducts/the-hobbit-4kw-defra-without-log-store

I also think you are going to want a defra approved stove, unless you're planning on installing this stove without lining the chimney. If the chimney is in good nick then that's fine, but if you need to line it then my logic is as follows. small opening = small fire = small flue cross section needed. That means you could really struggle, or fail, to get a 6" liner up it. Part J requires a 6" liner to be fitted if lining an old chimney, UNLESS the stove is defra approved AND the manufacturer allows it, in which case you can fit a 5" liner. So, think it though before you rule out a defra approved stove.