Log identification help please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bigealta

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2010
Utah & NJ
There is a whole bunch of this dead stacked. It’s pretty light and very seasoned and dry. Split pretty easy. I just have not seen this before. Central NJ. The wood seems similar to maple but the bark, the way it pulls off does not seem like maple i've seen before? Thanks for any thoughts.

E9039BCD-DBC2-4213-AC2C-AAE25EF7D307.jpeg 6C9B5841-6E0F-4E89-AF6B-F32AC3812AD4.jpeg 93DB4E1C-8EF7-4232-8E51-6D299D4BD47C.jpeg

Last edited:
Could it be Silver Maple?

I've seen some silver maple with long strips of bark hanging off, almost looks like shagbark hickory sometimes.

It looks like it could be silver maple.
Remember maple has opposite branching habit (so if alternate branching its not maple).

Could it be Silver Maple?

I've seen some silver maple with long strips of bark hanging off, almost looks like shagbark hickory sometimes.
Certainly could be, i just don't remember seeing those long bark strips on the maples around me. But most of ours are norway and swamp maples i believe.

It looks like it could be silver maple.
Remember maple has opposite branching habit (so if alternate branching its not maple).
I never knew that about maple, i'll check when i go back. Hopefully this snow melts quickly so i can get back in there. There are other maples mixed in with these, but most of them are so spalted they are almost punky and break in pieces when trying to split them. Those maples are too far gone.

I just checked silver maple id characteristics.
"Silver maples can be identified by their bark as it is fairly distinct. Older trees will have a grayish bark that will flake off to reveal brown spots."

Looks like Silver Maple is the winner. Good call - Solar and Cincy. Thanks guys.

Looks like it is 30 percent rotten. I woudn't mess with it.

Looks like it is 30 percent rotten. I woudn't mess with it.
Yeah the Random cuts made in a few of those logs had similar spalting. Will try a few more but not looking that great unfortunately.

Silver maple was my take.

I don't burn silver maple even if it's 100% rot free, calories invested to C/S/S exceed calories out in the burn.
Yeah, Usually i'm of the same thought. But i'm pushing thru so much good oak this year and really don't have any shoulder season wood, thought that i might grab a load or 2 if nothing else becomes available soon. I could always give it away if more prime wood becomes available.

Going to look closer at this mixed stack and see what else might be hiding in there.