Log Lifter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What style was the "little" splitter you built? Was it a horz/vert?

Nope - pure horz. Low tonnage, fast stroke, limited to 18" and it gets jiggy wid it. Basically the same as the old I/O 15 ton unit (not built anymore) but mine has a larger beam, more HP (simply because that was the donor engine) and electric start. It sits at a height similar to the Super splitter for ergonomics while splitting the <20" rounds that it gets feed. Kinda purpose built. And man can that little sucker spit out some firewood. Fast.

I based my splitter build on the Powersplit/ TimberDevil design. I modified it slightly with a retractable cylinder , a mechanical log lift , a receiver hitch ,and hyway towable
http://powersplit.com/video-gallery
http://www.timberdevil.com/products.html
Got any pics of your splitter?

That gave me some ideas. I can see myself cutting up my splitter to make a vertical only version -- at just the right height.

Add a log lift to one side and I could probably cannibalize an old treadmill for a conveyor to load my trailer on the other side. An auto cycle valve would be icing on the cake.

Just got to learn how to weld ;)

Got any pics of your splitter?

That gave me some ideas. I can see myself cutting up my splitter to make a vertical only version -- at just the right height.

Add a log lift to one side and I could probably cannibalize an old treadmill for a conveyor to load my trailer on the other side. An auto cycle valve would be icing on the cake.

Just got to learn how to weld ;)
Buy a big MIG or a stick machine and let's see some pics! ::-)

Reactions: mikefrommaine
Get a fitty dollar used lincoln stick welder off of craigslist or fleebay, wire in the appropriate 220 outlet and get to sticking things together. I love migs, but it takes a big one to start welding the kind of steel used on a splitter.

Get a fitty dollar used lincoln stick welder off of craigslist or fleebay, wire in the appropriate 220 outlet and get to sticking things together. I love migs, but it takes a big one to start welding the kind of steel used on a splitter.
$50? The cheapest stick welder I can find is 150 -- and I'd have to drive to Mass. How crazy would it be to try gas welding something like this?

$50? The cheapest stick welder I can find is 150 -- and I'd have to drive to Mass. How crazy would it be to try gas welding something like this?

Crazy - especially if you are new to welding. Gas welding is almost a lost art.

ETA - just checked my area for giggles. Looks like $150 for 225 amp. I just turned one down that somebody wanted to give to me. I told a friend about it, and he got it - free.

Alright, thought about the vertical only concept some more. Obviously if you take a 6' beam and put it vertically on a work table 30-36" high it won't fit in the garage. And transport becomes an issue... The powersplit raises and lowers the cylinder to keep the height low. Ideally I would be able to use the existing beam and cylinder set up -- quick easy

I vaguely remember seeing someone on (maybe on AS) build a vertical only work table splitter that used a full height beam. I think the beam tilted into place. Any ideas on how to tilt a full length beam into space on a splitter like this?
WS150-FIELD-PIC-1.jpg

Found a few pics of the one I was thinking of but can't find the original thread.

Looks like a typical H/V splitter could mostly be used but lifting the beam into place wouldnt be easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.